PDA

View Full Version : It has started...

Emerald Lance
06-16-2011, 11:52 PM
It has been looking good for a very long time now, but it seems our time has come. Seph mentioned in another thread that the numbers of inactive/active members is ridiculous, and while I don't have those numbers in front of me (laziness at its best) I can safely say that this week is where the outright noobage has officially started. Every forum falls prey to the mighty leech at some time or another; there is no avoiding it, as it is our destiny. I just wish it wasn't as painful to watch.

I don't expect the staff to do anything about this (really, they're doing a great job at what they can do, like Seph's 7 post limit), but new members of the site CAN do something. First of all, I've started seeing hexing questions in the "General Discussion" forum, so I guess this is the right place to post what I'm about to say: if you have a question, post in the correct forum. If your question is modding related, please post in the modding forum. Also, if you want to ask somebody to mod your save, post your save, and if you want help modding a certain game, at the very least tell us which game it is! And please, no spam...

This isn't me mini-moderating. I respect the mods and the admins and I trust them to do their job. But I notice that so many people just pop in to the "General Discussion" board and don't even look at the rules, so now's as good a time as any to give a quick reminder. Here (http://www.360haven.com/forums/showthread.php?53-The-Rules) is the official rules thread by Sephiroth. If you have any questions about something and it isn't covered in the rules, ask the staff here (http://www.360haven.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?6-Talk-to-the-Staff). If you want help with modding a game, ask here (http://www.360haven.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?17-Xbox-360-Modding-Discussion) or here (http://www.360haven.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?65-Requests).

If you don't feel as though you have anything worth saying, or you're embarrassed/intimidated, don't worry; some people prefer to lurk for a while and observe the proper way to conduct themselves before posting. Please post politely and in the correct forum; if you make a mistake, we're happy to respectfully and kindly inform you of said mistake, as long as you're polite.

In closing, this is just a reminder for new members to please follow the rules.

longy999
06-17-2011, 12:21 AM
Well put, there has been an influx of leechers recently. It does a grow a bit tiring watching some of them post 'thanks for the editor' in the first 7 posts they happen to come across to get their post count up. Especially when theres a 'thanks' button right there in front of them.

Sephiroths 7 post and 1 download a day rules have definately made a difference though, hopefully some of the guys will take the time to look at the site properly and become proper members when they see what a great community it is.

Saying that though, there have been a few new members who have stayed and have been contributing towards the site so its not all bad.

Renegade
06-17-2011, 12:42 AM
There is never going to be a way to completely stop the nubs, Unless of course we went private, That we don't want, as this is a growing contribution website with a great team. Let the leechers have their time, It's not as if they are stealing our stuff, All of our tools have our names pretty much smacked all over them :)

Sephiroth
06-17-2011, 01:18 AM
There is never going to be a way to completely stop the nubs, Unless of course we went private, That we don't want, as this is a growing contribution website with a great team. Let the leechers have their time, It's not as if they are stealing our stuff, All of our tools have our names pretty much smacked all over them :)

Hahaha, so true :)

Emerald Lance
06-17-2011, 01:26 AM
It isn't so much the leechers that I'm worried about, though I don't like them either (I haven't contributed any apps or programs, so I don't hve much room to speak with them). It's the uber noobs that simply post "help me hex" in the wrong forum despite having tons of threads dedicated to just that, or the ones that say "hex my save plz, kthx" but don't even provide a save to edit. When you sign in, only to have two different people simply post "how do i hax?" back to back in the same wrong forum, that's how you know there's a problem.

But don't get me wrong, you've got a good point Ren. I know I personally don't want this place to become private, and lord knows we don't need another Jester who uses his status like the hammer of Thor as wielded by Stimpy to keep the peace. I know that there really isn't anything that the admins or mods can do to keep the noobs out AND uphold the integrity of the site as is, and most members like the way the site is now. But more than that, other than what the staff are already doing, it shouldn't be the responsibility of the staff in the first place, it should be the responsibility of the new members to act correctly. And also Longy raises a good point too, that not all new members are noobs, and I respect them for actually caring. This thread isn't my asking the staff members to fix the issue, it's asking the new members (as another member) to post properly so that we all can continue to have clean threads without forcing the staff to clean them for us.

Paprika
06-18-2011, 06:40 AM
Sephiroths 7 post and 1 download a day rules have definately made a difference though, hopefully some of the guys will take the time to look at the site properly and become proper members when they see what a great community it is.

Didn't know about the 1 download day rule, but I could imagine how much that will slow down the leeching and hopefully turn some of them into more than just that. shit you have to do something while you wait amirite:P

star^
06-18-2011, 11:26 AM
I have noticed in almost every savegame thread the first 20 posts are "thankxxx" posts. Even tho the rules clearly say that we should use the THX button. And this is all over the place.
And in one post called "post your gamertag" i see one person posting "i wont post my gamertag, i dont play online". I dont get it, why post in "post your gamertag" and just say you wont do it.
And the worst thing about is that it was a 800+ post member that did it. Im just saying. Not setting a good example to new users.

Krauser
06-18-2011, 12:48 PM
So true my friend -_-

Game Wizard
06-18-2011, 01:54 PM
i hope there are actually going to be people that actually learn and start helping its a dream that probally wont come true:P

Ryudo
06-19-2011, 01:55 AM
I have noticed in almost every savegame thread the first 20 posts are "thankxxx" posts. Even tho the rules clearly say that we should use the THX button. And this is all over the place.
And in one post called "post your gamertag" i see one person posting "i wont post my gamertag, i dont play online". I dont get it, why post in "post your gamertag" and just say you wont do it.
And the worst thing about is that it was a 800+ post member that did it. Im just saying. Not setting a good example to new users.

Post count doesn't mean much anyways. It just means he's posting more than us, it doesn't mean he's 'better' than us in knowing the rules and whatnot. (Clearly).

I agree though, it's not a good example when it comes from a senior member. :P