PDA

View Full Version : Here’s How You Can potentially Improve the Speed of Your Connection

BrayWyatt
06-17-2014, 12:52 AM
Due to their plug and play nature people often don’t bother setting up their internet connection properly on consoles, and this often results in lower performance compared to what they could achieve. Today Reddit user RemoteSenses posted a handy little suggestion on how to set your nameservers on PS4, which depending on your location could lead to a sensible improvement in the quality of your tethering to the world wide web.

First of all download Google’s Namebench (windows download link here) on any PC and run it (try not to have any other download going on as you do, as it could throw the results off). It will benchmark all the available nameservers and find the ones that are fastest for you.

http://cdn2.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Nameserver.jpg?57efa4

The above image is a example.

Once you’re done testing, write down the two fastest nameservers (marked Primary and Secondary on the top right of the web page that will be opened automatically, as you can see above) and open the settings menu of your PS4, then follow the steps below:

01. Go to “Network”

02. Go to “Set up Internet Connection”

03. Select “Use Wi-Fi” or “Use a LAN Cable” depending on whether you’re connected on wireless or via ethernet cable.

04. Select “Custom”

05. Select “Automatic”

06. Select “Do Not Specify”

07. Select “Manual”

08. Insert the two numbers you got before as your “Primary DNS” and “Secondary DNS” (don’t use those in the picture above, as they’re specific for me and showcased just as an example)

09. Select “Automatic”

10. Select “Do Not Use”

Also Works on xbox too.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/hvp6b7kamwbdy8a/namebench-1.3.1-Windows.rar

Dead Encryption
07-04-2014, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the share Archer, another thing to consider here though. If your running a DHCP Network and are sharing files across devices like your consoles, etc. Its better to set the DNS up on your Gateway \ Router. Then all of your devices will be assigned your Domain"s DNS settings (the updated DNS addresses from Benchmark) but still allow cross communication via your network. (For file sharing, etc.)

I'm stoked though! Supposedly should be seeing a 35% increase! :062:

8Ball
07-04-2014, 04:24 PM
I find it amusing they talk of finding the best dns server and then go and use googles secondary public dns anyway, if you want to save time just set your router to use google's dns servers. 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

If you get any noticeable increase from this your isp's dns servers are some fucked up phonebooks.

I'm not saying don't do it but really not much point, DNS caching is a thing, an old thing.

drago2533
12-06-2015, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the share