PDA

View Full Version : Free XB:A Game - Crimson Alliance

Renegade
09-07-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure if anybody knows this yet, But there is a FREE RPG Arcade game on the marketplace right now, Just thought i'd give you guys a heads up :)

It's called Crimson Alliance.

pureIso
09-07-2011, 09:36 PM
It may be thrilling to see the "full game" of Crimson Alliance available on XBLM for free -- you may think it's a pricing error on Microsoft's part -- but that's just how the game works. It's not actually the full game.

We knew that Crimson Alliance would be available either as an 800 point single-character pack or a 1,200 point download with all three; what we're just now learning on release day is how Microsoft is handling that.

The "full game" is available for free, presumably so everyone online is playing the same base game. But that free download only includes "trial characters," and warns the player upon character creation that "You are creating a Trial Character. Game content will be limited for this character." There are prompts ... everywhere to buy the characters for 800 points each.

This model of giving the game away for free, but severely limiting it, almost makes Crimson Alliance the first freemium game on XBLA, which already offers free trials for all games.

reference: JoyStiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/07/psa-free-crimson-alliance-download-isnt-the-full-game/)

Renegade
09-07-2011, 09:43 PM
It may be thrilling to see the "full game" of Crimson Alliance available on XBLM for free -- you may think it's a pricing error on Microsoft's part -- but that's just how the game works. It's not actually the full game.

We knew that Crimson Alliance would be available either as an 800 point single-character pack or a 1,200 point download with all three; what we're just now learning on release day is how Microsoft is handling that.

The "full game" is available for free, presumably so everyone online is playing the same base game. But that free download only includes "trial characters," and warns the player upon character creation that "You are creating a Trial Character. Game content will be limited for this character." There are prompts ... everywhere to buy the characters for 800 points each.

This model of giving the game away for free, but severely limiting it, almost makes Crimson Alliance the first freemium game on XBLA, which already offers free trials for all games.

reference: JoyStiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/07/psa-free-crimson-alliance-download-isnt-the-full-game/)Yeah...lol that's the catch XD

pureIso
09-07-2011, 09:46 PM
I was so happy for a minute "Wow can't wait, another diablo clone" and bam like a punch to the face....there's a catch!! S.O.B.

Renegade
09-07-2011, 09:52 PM
I was so happy for a minute "Wow can't wait, another diablo clone" and bam like a punch to the face....there's a catch!! S.O.B.Lol...well at least it's a Demo-Type game...greedy bastards lol, They should at least give us a free game every now and then, especially with the money we pay for their stuff.

HydroBullet
09-14-2011, 03:51 AM
Dam those sly dogs I was so happy when I saw this and then to find out this.

XIII
09-14-2011, 07:08 AM
So its like Game Room and Pinball FX2. How many achievements can be attained without paying? I severely dislike this way of Releasing games.

Emerald Lance
09-14-2011, 07:56 AM
In my opinion, it's a decent idea. It opens up more doors than a simple demo, while at the same time holding back some content to be paid for. Good marketing, if you ask me. The only thing they should differently is make the DLC visibly available in the Marketplace so that we know we're not getting the full experience, otherwise it makes them seems kinda untrustworthy.