PDA

View Full Version : I've been BANNED!

Emerald Lance
09-14-2011, 04:58 AM
So I'm devastated. I hop on my 360 to play some Armored Core with my friends, only to find a popup that says I'm banned until 12/31/9999! And for theft, no less! While it is true that I have done plenty of things to warrant temporary bans here and there, I've never stolen from MS (even to the point of actually going out and legitimately buying MS Word). Judging by the tone of the email they sent me, it doesn't seem like it's up for debate. Is there anyone in MS I can talk to that might be able to do something? If I were guilty then I'd just take punishment fairly and be done with it, hell even if it were just a temp ban and I could be playing again whether I did it or not, but I'm not guilty and I don't deserve this permaban! I wouldn't mind making a new account, but then I'd have to rebuy all of the DLC I've purchased in the past 4.5 years. Balls to THAT! IS there any way I can appeal to MS for something I DIDN'T DO?

Insane JIC
09-14-2011, 05:05 AM
Sorry to hear you got banned.

Londoner1234
09-14-2011, 05:13 AM
Unfortunately you cant dispute bans.
If you have msp or gold left on the account you can be reimbursed.
It seems alot of people are getting banned for this lately.

Emerald Lance
09-14-2011, 05:41 AM
There are articles all over the internet about how people have been getting permabanned for theft. There have also been a crap ton of appeal posts in the appeal forums. MS staff doesn't seem to care though... Should I just make a new account? Is there no hope? (Personally, I think it was a glitch or mistake in the system. I don't think these people were banned legitimately, and I think MS may try to fix it later.)

CloudStrife7x
09-14-2011, 05:56 AM
There are articles all over the internet about how people have been getting permabanned for theft. There have also been a crap ton of appeal posts in the appeal forums. MS staff doesn't seem to care though... Should I just make a new account? Is there no hope? (Personally, I think it was a glitch or mistake in the system. I don't think these people were banned legitimately, and I think MS may try to fix it later.)

It sucks that u got permabanned but maybe your right that the system messed up somehow, but i dont trust MS enough to actually see them say it was something on their side and them fix it but thats just my opinion XD, i personally would not make another account unless u r dying to play online lol, but its utlimately up to u :)

Emerald Lance
09-14-2011, 06:16 AM
I called customer service and they said that it's an issue and that they're "working on it" whatever that means.

XIII
09-14-2011, 07:18 AM
Hope it doesn't happen to me, but I narrow missed it a few weeks ago by not using a community G.O.D account.

reapermech
09-14-2011, 07:33 AM
here is something i found so

MS Screws Up and Bans Game Site's Account for Fraud
Tuesday, 13 September 2011 13:47 Austin Cox
Updated Below: Like a lot of writers and gamers alike, I was one of those people who typically rolled my eyes when someone said they were banned from Xbox LIVE without a legitimate reason. Because let’s be honest here; most of the time the guilty party will declare their innocence to the very end. Today I’ve learned just how Microsoft’s erratic procedures result in gamers getting banned without any just cause.

It’s no secret that videogame websites receive games from publishers and developers in order to provide reviews to our readers. Sometimes these games are downloadable and in other cases they are of course hard copy (discs). A lot of games hit consoles and handhelds through downloads. So it’s not a big surprise that gaming journalists are logging in and downloading games a lot. Microsoft is apparently unaware of this despite the fact they issue thousands of codes a year for this exact purpose on their Xbox LIVE service.

Despite having clear knowledge that this is how the process works, Microsoft laid down a blanket of bans on Xbox LIVE accounts yesterday for multiple sites. I’m of course writing this because our primary review account was one of those selected by the faceless XBL police for a permanent ban. The reason for the ban you ask?, “Marketplace and Code Fraud”. Now if you’re thinking to yourself, “Why would someone commit fraud when they are receiving the games for free?”, then you’d be using something that MS is clearly lacking –logic.

It wouldn’t be a big deal to create another account, except you need XBL Gold to review XBLA games online. So like the countless other suckers out there, review sites shell out the money each year to test games online. Gameplay Today “had” an account paid up for the next 2 years. MS now has that money and isn’t required to provide the service or logical explanation for the banning. So now we sit here with a clear understanding that all of those gamers who griped about XBL bans might have had some legitimate complaints. If MS can’t even keep tabs on its own code distribution process and bans members of the media that use their codes; who’s to say they are just banning innocent gamers daily?

You’d expect more out of a company that requires you to pay for their service. At least we always argued that we got better service because we paid. Now we sit here with one of our review accounts banned, wondering if others will get banned and eyes wide open to the complaints gamers have had about Xbox LIVE for years now. Paying for a service that can get ripped away without reason is not a good service at all.

In response to inquires after proving all content was provided by publishers and developers through emails from the companies, a reply was given by an Xbox.com moderator about the ban called "XBLPET Golf". It wasn't positive:

"During the course of a recent investigation, we have discovered users who illegitimately accessed Xbox LIVE Marketplace downloadable content. Our investigation reveals that this access was intentional and not accidental, constituting a blatant violation of the Terms of Use for the service. We will not divulge additional information regarding individual suspensions for these offenses.

Please know that we are being very careful regarding these suspensions, and have clear evidence regarding each account issued a permanent suspension from the service. We apologize for any frustration or confusion resulting from our inability to share individual details, and thank you all for your cooperation in this matter.

this is a copy paste all credit goes to the creator/writer

Emerald Lance
09-14-2011, 07:50 AM
I saw that exact same reply from the Xbox mod. Other members of the haven have told me about being permabanned in the past for no reason as well, and MS refused to explain themselves when asked about it. This is making the PSN hacking shenanigans look kinda nice in comparison; at least the PSN fiasco was a response to Sony and not Sony sending a big "F*CK YOU" signal straight to its fanbase like how MS seems to be doing.

orinwarf
09-14-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about that, Emerald. This and the article reapermech pasted above causes me great concern.

Emerald Lance
09-15-2011, 12:21 AM
Here is my complaint to the BBB.

I use my Xbox 360 console fairly and legally. On September 13th, I was issued a permanent ban from the Xbox LIVE service, and the email I received simply said that I was guilty of "Marketplace Theft" and that customer service is not authorized to help. I searched the internet for a solution and have found that many (innocent) people are suffering from the same circumstance. There is a forum on the Xbox website that involves appealing bans, and in this forum is a recent announcement by one of the official "Xbox Police" that states any mention of a ban for Marketplace Theft will be ignored and that we (the ones who are banned) are guilty and should accept our punishment.

In short, Microsoft is punishing innocent people for a severe violation (and crime) and will not provide any details or communication about these actions, and the small amount of communication is rude and offensive. Microsoft also refuses to reimburse its customers for the time they had remaining on their subscription; under normal circumstances this is understandable, but for a mass (and seemingly random) ban such as this it is unacceptable.

I don't think my terms are too unreasonable. I'd like to have my account unbanned. If Microsoft refuses, then I want to be reimbursed for my current subscription, as well as everything that I bought over Xbox LIVE over the course of my current subscription; I am no longer able to use many of the things I have purchased in my history as a member, so I don't think it is too unfair to be given back what I bought during my current subscription period, a mere fragment of what I paid for (and can no longer use) in the four odd years I've been a member.

If anybody else gets banned for Marketplace Theft (and is innocent, of course) here is a petition to sign.
Microsoft wrongly banning Xbox consoles from acessing Xbox Live. (http://www.change.org/petitions/microsoft-wrongly-banning-xbox-consoles-from-acessing-xbox-live?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition&utm_term=own_wall)

There are also a few articles about the happenings. I suggest you read them, just to be safe.
http://deltagamer.com/15716/microsoft-begins-mass-ban-of-xbox-live-users-for-marketplace-theft
http://www.myniritori.com/widespread-bans-for-marketplace-theft-going-around-on-xbox-live/
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/08/microsoft-issues-xbox-live-bans-for-marketplace-theft/
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/318019/ms-issuing-xbox-live-bans-for-marketplace-theft/http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.311639-Microsoft-Issues-Bans-For-XBL-Marketplace-Theft

jkipp82
09-15-2011, 12:30 AM
So I'm devastated. I hop on my 360 to play some Armored Core with my friends, only to find a popup that says I'm banned until 12/31/9999! And for theft, no less! While it is true that I have done plenty of things to warrant temporary bans here and there, I've never stolen from MS (even to the point of actually going out and legitimately buying MS Word). Judging by the tone of the email they sent me, it doesn't seem like it's up for debate. Is there anyone in MS I can talk to that might be able to do something? If I were guilty then I'd just take punishment fairly and be done with it, hell even if it were just a temp ban and I could be playing again whether I did it or not, but I'm not guilty and I don't deserve this permaban! I wouldn't mind making a new account, but then I'd have to rebuy all of the DLC I've purchased in the past 4.5 years. Balls to THAT! IS there any way I can appeal to MS for something I DIDN'T DO?

you may want to look into if your account was hacked because about a year ago mine was and they got my credit card and stuff. it was a pain in the butt.

meanpandabomba
09-15-2011, 01:10 AM
Is it even possible for xbox live accounts to be hacked? You would think Microsoft has counter measures for that besides banning I mean.

reapermech
09-15-2011, 02:13 AM
all it takes for some one to "hack" a account on xbox lis a password and you can pretty much get everything else can be found on the web now back to topic ..
Now if you have gone to a friends house and migrated your account i think this may be the cause of the unfair perma bans that have been handed out.
If you are being truthful go sign up on the petition ....If not go make a new account and try not to pass on some dlc to a friend

Emerald Lance
09-15-2011, 05:24 AM
That would make sense, but I've never migrated my account. I've had to recover it from time to time because it would get damaged somehow, but never migrate it. As far as getting hacked, I've also never given my password to anybody else, and I use a different password everywhere. I really do think that this is a mistake on Microsoft's part and that they should take responsibility. They won't, but they really should.

Derpitalism
09-15-2011, 07:24 AM
They've started cracking down on license transfer fraud lately.

emilio323f
09-15-2011, 07:31 AM
that's why i have 2 console one for back up games and on for online gaming but it suck when you get banned.

domi19
09-15-2011, 02:38 PM
bro that sucks but quick question did you did the non-jtag stuff

Emerald Lance
09-15-2011, 08:14 PM
bro that sucks but quick question did you did the non-jtag stuff
Like using other people's profile to download a game for free? I'll admit, I thought about it sometimes. But I never did it. And that's the thing too, all of my friends did it on multiple occasions, and none of them have been banned.

Also, I wasn't console banned. It's just my main was permabanned.

dorkusrex
09-15-2011, 09:06 PM
ANYONE SEE THIS?

http://www.fanboyfeed.com/black-ops-rezurrection-pack-may-be-causing-xbox-live-profile-bans/

Emerald Lance
09-15-2011, 09:35 PM
ANYONE SEE THIS?

http://www.fanboyfeed.com/black-ops-rezurrection-pack-may-be-causing-xbox-live-profile-bans/
That is very interesting, and it would explain why so many people are getting banned. But there must be something else at work as well, because I never touch CoD besides MW2 (which I never downloaded any DLC for).

Also, the article reads that MS is trying to keep quiet about the whole shebang until they can find a way to fix it. I wonder if MS really plans on "fixing it" and giving all of us who were wrongfully banned our accounts back, or if they'll just fix the glitch and leave all as is.

player8410
09-15-2011, 09:50 PM
do you seriously expect MS to say, it was our fault and restore people? Never ever going to happen. Be a legal nightmare for them. I don't know what the final resolution of this is, but I'd be cautious buying/downloading that map pack.

BxR Kings
09-15-2011, 10:29 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

KiiNG
09-15-2011, 11:53 PM

Dude the same thing happened to me. There's virtually no was to appeal to a ban, the forums is stupid and live support just tells you to go there. What you can do though is call and go to cancel payment options and cancel your credit card & ask to get your remaining xbox live time in gold tokens (can be used on another account). Tell them the email didn't go through after they send it and they'll send you a second one. Both the emails will show up in a few hours but they will each have different codes ;)

So I just doubles your xbox live time. Now just make an offline account and follow these steps: http://www.xboxmb.com/forum/16-xbox-360-profile-gamesave-modding/69349-copy-gamerscore-one-profile-another.html
To get all of your achievements back. Then add the redeem codes from the tokens and its practically a new version of your account.
GT: OG James Dean
I figured this out (except the achievement thing)

JL30
09-16-2011, 12:51 AM
mabye you can use le fluffie(?) to unban ur account and cloudstrife luv the sig clouds my fav ff character

JL30
09-16-2011, 12:57 AM
That is very interesting, and it would explain why so many people are getting banned. But there must be something else at work as well, because I never touch CoD besides MW2 (which I never downloaded any DLC for).

Also, the article reads that MS is trying to keep quiet about the whole shebang until they can find a way to fix it. I wonder if MS really plans on "fixing it" and giving all of us who were wrongfully banned our accounts back, or if they'll just fix the glitch and leave all as is. just read it omg im glad i hate black ops or else i would have that dlc and would be banned for it

knight8703
09-16-2011, 01:59 AM
hey i wanna know can they bann you if you been off you profile for a long time and have mods done to you profile for a long time ago

Emerald Lance
09-16-2011, 03:29 AM
mabye you can use le fluffie(?) to unban ur account and cloudstrife luv the sig clouds my fav ff character
No, I don't think that's possible. Your ban status is set server side, so even if you take the ban flag off your profile, it will automatically get rebanned once you sign on.

hey i wanna know can they bann you if you been off you profile for a long time and have mods done to you profile for a long time ago
It depends on what the mods are. If the mods are something blatantly obvious, then they'll see it and ban you.

Engleman
09-17-2011, 12:39 AM
I feel your pain, Emerald. In a sense anyways. I'm not innocent and did use modded profiles/non-jtag method of playing DLC and whatnot. I can't really challenge what happened to me, but the DLC I used was extra costumes for 'Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage' and the 'Dead Space 2: Severed' DLC. Not really hot ticket theft items, I'm sure. Nevertheless, I guess MS isn't messing around and just going all crazy without much prejudice with their banning.

I do hope that you get somewhere with your appeal though. As for me... I'll be playing my massive library of games again, lmao. Oh and only sticking with save hacking. :D

actualmanx
09-17-2011, 01:18 AM
my m8 got done yesterday for marketplace theft he forwarded the email to me (he has done the none jtag profile thing) he has black ops and has not d/l the latest map pack (zombie ones).

nipponboy911
09-18-2011, 03:33 AM
wow..that sucks big time. hopefully i dont get randomly banned since i just got a new system after being banned for flashing my old xbox hahaha

hamako
09-18-2011, 05:27 AM
i hope i don't get randomly banned. it seems ms is full of bs. banning people w/o a reason. and even if they do have a reason. it would probably won't make sense. sooner or later ms will get whats coming to them.

Insane JIC
09-18-2011, 06:20 AM
i hope i don't get randomly banned. it seems ms is full of bs. banning people w/o a reason. and even if they do have a reason. it would probably won't make sense. sooner or later ms will get whats coming to them.

You said it!

Salvia
09-18-2011, 06:09 PM
You most likely got banned for doing a license transfer there cracking down hard on that a got banned for theft too :( A know the pain

Emerald Lance
09-19-2011, 07:45 AM
You most likely got banned for doing a license transfer there cracking down hard on that a got banned for theft too :( A know the pain

But I've never done a license transfer. That's what strikes me as so weird. I'm just saying guys, watch out because even the customer service guy I talked to (who was extremely polite and cooperative) had no idea what was going on or why I was banned; he looked at everything and said I was clean and should not have been banned (but said he lacked the power tp unban me).

Also, I got a hold of the BBB, who got a hold of MS, who got a hold of me. It seems I got through, and pretty high up as well. I'll keep you guys updated on the progress

aksparky
09-19-2011, 02:22 PM
You really do have to be careful when messing around with MS systems, be it consoles or otherwise. I avoid any kind of id transfers or illegitimate DLC...However, I do some modding of save games here and there which can alter achievements, hopefully they won't start cracking down on that next! It does suck that you got banned for no real reason. MS should spend more time getting the bugs out of there own software instead of banning people left and right that might be innocent.

Its like somebody screws up and everybody else has to take a big old bite of the s**t sandwich! Have had the same thing happen to me in the military, lol!

aksparky

Goku
09-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Sorry man, Unfortunately there is no way to get unbanned. Microsoft has been really uneasy because of all of the modding going around. I'm sorry you got banned though.