PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft admits to mistaken Xbox Live bans

Goku
09-24-2011, 06:13 PM
For years, Microsoft has permanently banned modded Xbox 360 consoles from using Xbox Live. However, a small handful of systems that found their way onto the banned list are having their permissions restored, the company confirmed today. The Banhammer has a "reverse" setting after all. In a post on Microsoft's Major Nelson blog, Xbox Live policy and enforcement team head Stephen Toulouse announced that a number of recent bannings are being overturned on further review. "We're still conducting our review but the cause appears to be a software issue, not an error on the part of the enforcement team's normal actions," Toulouse said. "It's very specific and occurred between August 29 and September 9, affecting a very small percentage of users." Toulouse emphasized repeatedly that banning consoles is something his team takes seriously, and stressed that the number of mistakenly banned systems was a "tiny set" of those axed from the service during that period. As for those who found themselves on the banned list unjustly, Toulouse said they don't need to take any action to restore their service, as they should already be able to connect to Xbox Live like normal. Additionally, they will automatically have their account credited in the coming days with 1,200 Microsoft points and three months of Xbox Live Gold. "You have my assurance that we are investigating how this error occurred and have since discontinued use of the software that was used," Toulouse said.

Source: http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6336377/microsoft-admits-to-mistaken-xbl-bans

Renegade
09-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Yeah i read about this on Major's Blog, It's funny, How over the years, They have said "Console banning is irreversible" yet they are now reversing the bans..

To me it sounds like they were being hypocritical or there is a bug with Vulcan.

Goku
09-24-2011, 06:57 PM
I agree, But at least they're admitting their mistakes.

Vulnavia
09-24-2011, 08:58 PM
For me the Problem with such Bans is the intransparency, no one knows what the exact Criterias are and there where many that sayd they where banned for no Reason. Of Course if you are banned its easy to say i done nothing, but its also easy too for MS to simply say there was Reason but we will not explain.

And now it comes out that there was Bans because of Buggy Software and that they can reverse the Bans if they want, very interesting.

But i want to know what Software it was and what this Software has done wrong and also i want to know exactly what are the Criterias for banning People, else why should anyone trust them again?

I remember that there was a Issue with the XBLShop where People was banned because some managed to get Stuff for free somehow, but the Problem was, some had downloaded Stuff totally legit with Codes in Gamepackages and then was banned for the same Reason, i think this Error is related to that Issue, because the Timesdates match perfectly.

And if so, then i want really to know how they check such Stuff prior to ban People, because it appears to be a very buggy procedure, and i think they don't even have 100% proves for and this is probably the Reason they don't want to explain or talk to banned Peoples, because they ban upon unreliable Criterias that would collapse if someone would dig a bit deeper...

Well, i never got banned, ok i not modded my Xbox360 and if will then i will buy another one only to mod instead, but still this don't appears to protect you from banning, because they banned many People with legit unmoded Boxes because of some strange Reasons like (got free stuff from XBLShop illegaly) how is this possible with an unmoded Box? Its only possible if there is a Bug in XBL itself, but if so its the Problem of MS not fixing it, not?

xSaiintx
09-25-2011, 01:43 AM
I was one of those "select few" who got banned. I signed on last night and BAM! my live is back up and running. Those MS points are gonna be put to good use to since I didn't have the money to pick up the last
DLC for Fallout NV LOL

Emerald Lance
09-25-2011, 05:58 AM
I was banned on Sept 13th, so I won't be coming back to my old account. Strange, I was banned for Marketplace Theft, but I wasn't console banned; I was account banned (I've never heard of anybody getting account banned for MT, only console banned). I'm still banned though, so I'm still sad. :'(

Goku
09-25-2011, 05:59 AM
ACTually, Lance if you private message me I can get a way to get your account un-banned. :D

Shinigami
09-26-2011, 03:16 AM
I wish they accidentally ban me.... Just to have those Microsoft points