PDA

View Full Version : 320GB hard drive coming to Xbox 360 S models for $130 this month

jkipp82
10-12-2011, 01:03 AM
Finally, you can stop being jealous of your friends who waited until 2011 to buy a 360.
The 320GB hard drive included in the Gears of War 3 (http://www.joystiq.com/game/gears-of-war-3), Modern Warfare 3 (http://www.joystiq.com/game/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3) and assorted other bundles will go on sale by itself later this month for $130.

We know what you're thinking. "Joystiq, isn't that roughly 200 percent more than I'd typically pay for a hard drive that size?" That's true, dear reader, but Microsoft's got an ace up its sleeve: The hard drive comes with an Xbox Live download code for Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (http://www.joystiq.com/game/lego-star-wars-3-the-clone-wars), a $20 value!*

So now who's getting the great deal, huh? ... What's that? Still not you? You say a better pack-in would be a bottle of heinie lube? Well now that's just vulgar.

*Note, that deal doesn't go for Japan, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia and the UAE, because the Force is illegal there.

CloudStrife7x
10-12-2011, 01:15 AM
After seeing the price I think I will stick with my 250GB

corporalsimon
10-12-2011, 02:34 AM
i'll stick to my factory 4g and just buy more flash drives.

orpheum666
10-13-2011, 05:20 AM
or really if you want, there are ways to install a laptop hard drive in the xbox360 case, run some codes on it, and MS will not know any different!

Sin Harvest
10-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Would be nice to have this for my phat xbox, but I guess I'll just leave the larger HDD on my JTAG. Anybody know if you use a 320 GB 2.5" laptop HDD in the phat 360 enclosure and format it on the console if it work as a phat 360 HDD like the 120 GB and 250 GB... or is 320 GB format only recognized on Slims? I know that on my (Phat) JTAG, the most you can use for a HDD is 2 TB as the max the motherboard will recognize, but I am not sure if it is different for motherboard of a non-JTAG'd console.

aksparky
10-31-2011, 07:50 AM
Because fellow gamers let's face it, 250 GB is just not enough! lmao! Thanks for posting this as I will be looking for it! That's a good question you had there Sin Harvest, I think your kind of stuck with what's available because I am sure Microsoft made it proprietary to only work on there non-JTAG'd system. Let me see what I can come up with as I am a bored IT professional...

aksparky

Zyrius
11-02-2011, 05:00 AM
Honestly I don't see why a slightly bigger hard drive would matter that much. I have a 250g Xbox slim and I hardly use a fifth of that. The only reason I can think of is to back up a copy of the game, though you still need the disc to play. Sorry, I'm a noob to all of this and just trying to learn a bit more behind the reasons for a larger hard drive and why it would warrant such a markup.

havenplaya
11-02-2011, 03:55 PM
damn! they are really pushing to get everyone used to this download of games bullshit

when the games industry changes to digital distribution only I'll go into scuba diving or something :D

Ryudo
11-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Honestly I don't see why a slightly bigger hard drive would matter that much. I have a 250g Xbox slim and I hardly use a fifth of that. The only reason I can think of is to back up a copy of the game, though you still need the disc to play. Sorry, I'm a noob to all of this and just trying to learn a bit more behind the reasons for a larger hard drive and why it would warrant such a markup.

Because using the disc to play your games causes the XBOX to wear and tear much faster than playing games from your HDD. So you can easily end up installing lots of games.

Star Ocean The Last Hope requires 3 discs, and at one point you have to travel back to earlier planets, and then you have to insert previous discs again. So by then you'll still have all 3 discs copied to your HDD, this consumes lots of space. Just a random example.
Point is - Playing from HDD is much better than from discs. Yes you still need the discs, but that's only there to recognize you actually own the disc.

Would be nice to have this for my phat xbox, but I guess I'll just leave the larger HDD on my JTAG. Anybody know if you use a 320 GB 2.5" laptop HDD in the phat 360 enclosure and format it on the console if it work as a phat 360 HDD like the 120 GB and 250 GB... or is 320 GB format only recognized on Slims? I know that on my (Phat) JTAG, the most you can use for a HDD is 2 TB as the max the motherboard will recognize, but I am not sure if it is different for motherboard of a non-JTAG'd console.
I made a topic about this actually... I don't think it's possible judging from the posts replied. You need some sort of "ss.bin" file for the desired size, and you can't just magically create that I think.