PDA

View Full Version : [TUTORIAL] Hex Editing Dungeon Defenders

godslam
11-09-2011, 08:40 AM
People have wanted a more in-depth tutorial for HEXing this game, so I've decided to elaborate on the matter a bit.
Since I've been helping people and it's become a bit overwhelming, I'm gonna make this and hope for the best.
This can be coupled with my other tutorial on how to ready your save for editing.
This will use names from my other tutorial, so be familiar with it to understand this one fully.

Requirements:
Idlehands88's Picture (http://www.360haven.com/forums/showthread.php?7565-Tutorial-Dungeon-Defenders-Item-Modding-Tutorial)
My Tutorial (http://www.360haven.com/forums/showthread.php?7618-TUTORIAL-Getting-Started-Dungeon-Defenders-Modding&highlight=Dungeon+Defenders)
Fairchild's Decompression Toolkit (http://www.360haven.com/forums/showthread.php?7460-Dungeon-Defenders-Compression-Toolkit&highlight=Dungeon+Defenders)
Hex Workshop (or another hex editing tool)

Key:
7F = 127
FE = 254
FF = 255
(At "7F" stats are disabled and below they are negative. Stats can be set to any number from 1-128. Take your number add it to 127 and then convert it from a dec to hex. Example: I want 47 hero health. 47 + 127 = 174 = AE)

Steps:
1. Open "save.decompressed" in Hex Workshop.
2. Find your weapon. (The easiest way to do this is to level it up fully and rename it, then look for the name)
3. Find the beginning of the stats. (The stats for each weapon are before the name. Look for the end of the previous weapon and follow the end look for "01 02 03". This is where the stats begin)
4. The first four bytes (two numbers/letters together) following "01 02 03" are Resistances. These should only be changed for pieces of armor.
Changing these to "FF" or "FE" will suffice.
5. The fifth byte does nothing (that I know of) and should be left alone.
6. The next four bytes control hero stats. These can also be set to "FF" or "FE" to max them out.
7. The next two are hero abilities. Thse can also be set to "FE" or "FF" to max them out.
8. The next four are tower stats and can also be maxed out.
9. Next is physical damage. I change mine to "00 FF FD FE". This is more than enough attack.
10. Additional projectiles is next. This should not be set high because it will make your game lag. Setting it to "93" may even be a bit high.
11. Projectile speed can be a bit crazy and I use "00 00 FF FF".
12. Elemental damage type follows and has a few settings.
01 = Poison
02 = Fire
03 = Electric
13. With elemental damage you should follow the same rules as physical damage. "00 FF FD FE"
14. The next four are item size and should just be left alone unless you have a good understanding of hex.
15. Skip four bytes and then you are at current upgrades. This can be changed to "01" to reset the upgrades you have used.
16. Skip four more and then you are at weapon ranged. This can be set to "FE" for Huntress and Apprentice weapos. Even Monk weapons should work.
17. Skip four and you're at clip size. This can be set t "00 FF FD FE" for a large clip on a gun/bow.
18. Reload speed should only be changed for a bow/gun. Set it to "FE" for maximum.
19. Knockback bonus can be set to "FE" for maximum knockback.
20. Charge speed can also be set to "FE" for Apprentice weapons.
21. Shots per second is for Huntresses and pets. Set this to "FE" for max.
22. Primary, secondary, quality and item color can all be left alone.
23. Max upgrade level is how many times you can level it up. I suggest "64" which is 100.

This tutorial was written while I was tired. Please take heed whilst reading it. I will revise it when I akaen.

Slamel
11-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks again for helping me out online. This tutorial is rockin. Now, I asked this in the other thread, but figure this might be a better place. Is editing familiars the same as items?

godslam
11-09-2011, 05:34 PM
Thanks again for helping me out online. This tutorial is rockin. Now, I asked this in the other thread, but figure this might be a better place. Is editing familiars the same as items?

Yes. The setup and location of stats for weapons, armor and familiars is the same.

djsun
11-10-2011, 12:04 AM
thanks a ton godslam for this in depth tutorial, it answered every question i was stuck on. now i have some badass gear! thx again

Hazic
11-11-2011, 12:31 AM
Hey Godslam man im stuck I dont understand how the very first time i attempt to do this im successful!!! My bow is amazing but ...... I haven't been able to do it again... ive been trying for over 4 hours to get a second weapon but I cant do it whats goin on man?? im going insane here

VGC Juggernaut1
11-11-2011, 06:03 AM
I was hoping someone could help me. My Gamer tag is VGC Juggernaut1, I had a set of gloves made by someone and by chance i was able to aquire them but i for some unknown reason... sold them :'( i was hoping someone could help me please cause i dont have a lot of PC skills for editing the items, I have a fair chunk of mana in game.. could someone please help me?

Grim
11-11-2011, 06:37 AM
ive been trying to mod it all night on my level 14 account i managed to mod my gloves but didnt get the resist done, i then tryed to mod all my armour and weapons i edited everything right and when i went into the game nothing was edited, now ive been trying it on my maxed acount with all acomplishments and level 70's and when i try to decompress it dd.exe stops working, ive tryed it in run and cmd neither have worked also tryed it on two computers, so idk whats going on, im willing to give out my save file for either a video tutorial or some custom modded items that someone create's for me just so that they wont disapear if someone joins my game with modded item's.
add my gt xii r34p3r iix if your able to help can check that i have all acomplishments if you like as well, legit looking items prefered sort of.

demonichate
11-11-2011, 05:05 PM
hey godslam umm i have a question you wouldn't happen to know the hex for editing the colors would you? and is there any way to edit the mana cost of an item? i don't find it right that a crappy bow costs 1.5 mil in the tavern shop.

Edit: also you said you were tired while writing soo was wonderinf did you swap the FE with EF by accident? the reason i ask is becaus eof idlehands tut saying EF was max. because if it is really FE it would explain why when i did shot speed on a weapon it went to -1.2 mill it was hilarious out runnign a fireball to the practice dummy but not very practical

Nightstalker
11-12-2011, 09:19 PM
10. Additional projectiles is next. This should not be set high because it will make your game lag. Setting it to "93" may even be a bit high.

What do you reccommend for a monk weapon. I put 20 additional projectiles and the whole game lagged. I would like 4 additonal projectiles but i do not know what you put in Hex to get this.

I8AB2Day
11-13-2011, 12:07 AM
What do you reccommend for a monk weapon. I put 20 additional projectiles and the whole game lagged. I would like 4 additonal projectiles but i do not know what you put in Hex to get this.7F=0 and 7F+4=83 I would suggest +5 projectiles (84) on Monk/Apprentice weapons. They go that high naturally when you upgrade, and create a second projectile in the center.

By the way, I have no clue how he got FE as being max, cuz FF is totally max. 00 FF FF FF is greater then 00 FF FD FE.

Also, good luck upgrading stuff 100 levels. I would suggest a max upgrade level of 2 so that you can easily name your modded weapon. However, 100 would be awesome on a non-extreme item, which this tutorial is totally not suggesting.

I highly recommend keeping all extreme mods in private/local games, or you may end up kicked, reported, flamed, or given a bad rep. Creating an extreme item is the best way to get started, and this tutorial is perfect for that, which makes me wonder why this thread was ever started. Merge this to the other tutorial that was started and have this one be a bit more directed towards the people looking for more detail. I'd love to help with that. For example: on guardians, clip size = range of tower buff.

XBL = Shnibadab0bin
I'm always willing to talk about modding DD.

Nightstalker
11-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks, now if only dd.exe worked. It keeps saying dd.exe has stopped responding (working). We are still waiting for a fix. In the mean time i just get game saves off modio with 15 mil mana and go split screen and drop it all for my main account. I ended up selling my badly hex'd monk weapon, everytime i shot it would lag the game.

lefty012
11-16-2011, 09:23 AM
really having trouble finding the start or the character itself , help!!=(

wizzkal
11-21-2011, 03:36 AM
could someone possibly skype\teamviewer with me to do this? im having so trouble..

Aluminium
11-22-2011, 12:48 AM
just search for the name of your character and wallha. you found it

remerton
11-23-2011, 04:41 AM
Searching for the name of the char in both hex and string and won't find either, nor name of weapons or armor. Just opening the decompressed save with hex workshop and hitting cntrl f, changing to string, and searching for the term. Any tips? >.>

Lunch Box Pro
11-25-2011, 04:15 PM
I cant find a video tutorial cause I myself can't learn through reading xD it does not help me one bit... could you post a video on how to do this? or wpuld that be asking for tooo much?

remerton
11-28-2011, 02:03 AM
Bump for response or help.

1sepp
11-29-2011, 04:02 AM
I love the tutorial, I've been modding smoothly the last couple of days. I have a question:

Were is the slot for the monks range attack. I can mod the physical and elemental damage. So far I've been upgrading the range attack at the tavern shop.

I would like to thank
Fairchild, Idlehands88's and you godslam.

1sepp
11-29-2011, 05:36 AM
Ha ha, I figured it out right after I asked. It was right in front of my face, actually right after weapon range.

Chaotic
11-29-2011, 06:01 PM
I am currently working on a hex chart in order to identify each hex code for ease of use. It will consist of each letter number and stat identifier in lieu of Idles picture. I will also put up an alternate tut to make it a little bit easier for the young modders. As for now Godslam's tut is plenty efficient for novice modders (thumbs up!)

Chaotic
11-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Searching for the name of the char in both hex and string and won't find either, nor name of weapons or armor. Just opening the decompressed save with hex workshop and hitting cntrl f, changing to string, and searching for the term. Any tips? >.>
The bottom stings of code are the templates for your characters, if you scroll to fast you will pass each piece of the gears equipped by your characters. Each character's code is in the order that it is listed in your character list in the game. So search slowly and you will find each character.

SpaceBass
12-01-2011, 05:23 AM
I am currently working on a hex chart in order to identify each hex code for ease of use. It will consist of each letter number and stat identifier in lieu of Idles picture. I will also put up an alternate tut to make it a little bit easier for the young modders. As for now Godslam's tut is plenty efficient for novice modders (thumbs up!)

That would be much appreciated, I will look forward to seeing that :)

Thanks to Godslam for his tut, Idle for his and everyone for their helpful comments.

To just max everything out on an item if I am not doing anything else I usually use the layouts below, put into a macro for ease :D
Added parenthesis to tell some of what is what.

Armour:
4(FF) > skip 1 > 10(FF) > 00FFFFFF > skip 18 > 01 > skip 18 > 03 > 0C > 0B > skip 13 > 02

Weapon:
4(FF) > skip 1 > 10(FF) > 00FFFFFF > 85 (6 projectiles) > 0000FFFF > 04 > 00FFFFFF > 401672c2 (Item XL) > skip 4 > 01 (upgrade) > skip 4 > FF > 00FFFFFF > 00FFFFFF > 4(FF) > skip 1 > 03 (secondary) > 0C (quality) > 0B (color) > skip 13 > 02 (upgrade)

Swords:
4(ff) > skip 1 > 10(ff) > 00FFFFFF > 85 > 0000FFFF > 04 > 00FFFFFF > 401672c2 > skip 1 > FF (sword speed) > skip 2 > 01 > skip 4 > FF > 00FFFFFF > 00FFFFFF > 4(FF) > skip

1 > 03 > 0C > 0B > skip 13 > 02

I know adding anything over 6+ projectiles is really not necessary and depending can cause lag so I never do that.
Also, if you have everything maxed out, I never use lightning as an element damage as it has crashed network games and lags on use.
I personally only use additional generic damage as that makes most sense.
For sword speed, all I have played with is the second digit pair out of the four and changed it to the max of (FF). This pretty much allows swing as fast as you can pull the trigger. If you change any of the other three bytes it could lead to the sword not doing any damage, like I said I haven't messed with it much yet.
, Thanks ~SpaceBass~ :)

Unpleasant_Soul
12-13-2011, 04:25 AM
Hey.., Ive looked IdleHands pic over a million times, I cant seem to get my base damage over 1 or it doesnt seem to be changing at all, and my Projectile Speed Bonus is crazy Negative.. OfCourse both of these values use 8 characters. What Shouul I use? Example: 59682F7F or what?

Idlehands88
12-13-2011, 04:48 AM
Hey.., Ive looked IdleHands pic over a million times, I cant seem to get my base damage over 1 or it doesnt seem to be changing at all, and my Projectile Speed Bonus is crazy Negative.. OfCourse both of these values use 8 characters. What Shouul I use? Example: 59682F7F or what?

I use 3FFFFFFF and that gives me max dmg when I hit the dummy.

Unpleasant_Soul
12-13-2011, 05:14 AM
I have no clue as to whats going on But I tried that. I ont know if his pic has some values in different places but for the life of me i CANNOT get this -5776640 (Neg) off my projectile speed bonus and I also have -127 additional projectiles? My Magazine size isnt changing either. Its at 1, my base damage is at 1, and any time i change the base damage value it doesnt change. I have tried 7F, FF, 3FFFFFFF, 000FFFF, 0000FFFF, I cant seem to get the correct hex into the correct weapon value. Can some1 please help me. My XBL GT is: Unpleasant Soul. Or reply to this thread. This mod is for my Blasticus

Idlehands88
12-13-2011, 06:42 AM
I have no clue as to whats going on But I tried that. I ont know if his pic has some values in different places but for the life of me i CANNOT get this -5776640 (Neg) off my projectile speed bonus and I also have -127 additional projectiles? My Magazine size isnt changing either. Its at 1, my base damage is at 1, and any time i change the base damage value it doesnt change. I have tried 7F, FF, 3FFFFFFF, 000FFFF, 0000FFFF, I cant seem to get the correct hex into the correct weapon value. Can some1 please help me. My XBL GT is: Unpleasant Soul. Or reply to this thread. This mod is for my Blasticus

Post a picture of the Hex for your Blasticus stats.

SpaceBass
12-13-2011, 08:01 AM
Usually when a weapons stats drop to a low base or go negative it means you went too high, but your physical damage is not overboard so see if you can post a picture like IdleHands said :)

xXkenta_marasumeXx
12-16-2011, 09:46 PM
im completely confused on how to compress and decompress i have the decompressing toolkit but i have no idea on how to use it

jono5662
12-17-2011, 01:29 AM
hey i made a video tut check it out and tell me what u think

Mattz0r
12-18-2011, 03:08 PM
great in depth guide thanks hopefully it will solve my hex editing problem
awesome job keep it up :)

chekman
12-21-2011, 07:25 AM
Hey when I was modding a staff for my mage, I can't seem to get the distance for his LT ability to go any bigger then double or normal size, I had the hex set to be a size of 200 which is C8 but i want an explosion that traverses the entire map for doing assualt runs, and other things anyone know what the hex value is to do that. Can't seem to figure it out atm.

cyber7
12-21-2011, 05:45 PM
i think its "Ranged damage" it has four bytes, setting it to 00 00 FF FF should be enough.

XxHatch3txX
12-22-2011, 02:45 AM
would any1 know the code for attack/swing speed and ranged damage

Idlehands88
12-22-2011, 03:52 AM
i think its "Ranged damage" it has four bytes, setting it to 00 00 FF FF should be enough.

Ranged Damage is for Monk ONLY (LT Attack). For increasing the Mage's LT attack you'd need to change the Weapon Range to FF (max).

nakka2
12-22-2011, 06:23 AM
Has anyone tried to modify a grenade launcher. Every time I try it gives me the corrupt save message, and it doesn't matter what stat that I modify on the weapon.

SSSTONERRR
12-22-2011, 07:36 AM
Has anyone tried to modify a grenade launcher. Every time I try it gives me the corrupt save message, and it doesn't matter what stat that I modify on the weapon.

you must be modifying it incorrectly, because you can mod a grenade launcher.

Idlehands88
12-22-2011, 08:59 PM

I currently have 3 modded Grenade Launchers in my Item box :) They are fun to use :) You mod them the same way you mod any other weapon...

erikomg
12-23-2011, 01:41 AM
trying to do the squires weapons and was wondering if you might know a good attack speed code off hand or how i should go about finding out which code to use to make it fast

SSSTONERRR
12-23-2011, 02:35 AM
trying to do the squires weapons and was wondering if you might know a good attack speed code off hand or how i should go about finding out which code to use to make it fast
The Attack Speed/Swing Rate shouldnet need to be faster than 3F FF FF FF, so complete the 'Combos' or you can make it in to 40 80 00 00 and you will only be able to do the first part of the 'Combo'

Pullin08
01-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks godslam, was having a little trouble with IdleHands picture guide due to being partially colorblind...lol

bepabr
01-03-2012, 08:55 PM
hi erm i am at the stage where i am in hex looking at all the codeing but when i type my weapons name into find it says cannot find my weapon isnt maxed so is there a different way to find my weapon ? if it helps its called mom's bow

Idlehands88
01-03-2012, 10:09 PM
hi erm i am at the stage where i am in hex looking at all the codeing but when i type my weapons name into find it says cannot find my weapon isnt maxed so is there a different way to find my weapon ? if it helps its called mom's bow

Mom's bow is named "VictoryItems.HuntressBow_VictoryReward" in the Hex Editor. Search for that and you'll find it :)

chekman
01-14-2012, 08:59 AM
Ranged Damage is for Monk ONLY (LT Attack). For increasing the Mage's LT attack you'd need to change the Weapon Range to FF (max).

i've tried both FF and FE, to max out the range of my LT. it doesn't seem to stick I've also tried different values to change the distance. it seems to be making it smaller.

CHROME_305
01-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Should I make a tool going of of the tuts posted ? Or is it not needed? You would still need to use the decompress tool on your save.

I would also need decompressed saves because I dont have game but I like making tools.

Gameler
01-16-2012, 05:20 AM
whenever i try to mod my weapons nothing ever changes with them.. i follow everything exactly and idk why it isnt working.. any sort of suggestion?

Raklik
01-18-2012, 07:59 PM
when your done hex editing, do you re-compress file? do you then use the DunDefHeroes.dun.rebuilt file as the one you use to replace the file in modio? Do you then rehash and resign after your done replacing file? And finally, do you remember to save back to device after you finish rehashing and resign? You could sit there, go through and do every step perfectly flawless in the procedure, but forget the final step of re-saving back to device again, and then the last 2 hours of your time was wasted "technically" but not really since it's an easy fix. (has happend to me before which is why i figure it's a good place to start)

tootlo
03-20-2012, 01:00 AM
You have to recopress the file then open the original save replace the dundef hero's with the file dundef rebiult.

Purpleskuux
03-20-2012, 05:33 AM
Does any of you's know how to make your, for example: a squire weapon attack fast, cause I know how to mod but for some reason my squire/monk weapons swing slow, pls reply:033:

Skullkeeper
03-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Does any of you's know how to make your, for example: a squire weapon attack fast, cause I know how to mod but for some reason my squire/monk weapons swing slow, pls reply:033:

Go to the first post and click on the link to Idlehand88's picture. It will show you where to mod weapon attack/swing speed.

Ebeeson
03-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Anyone know how to change the color's of your character's????? weapons start at 00 01 00 01 02 03 ... any pointers on character modding...for colors that is!??

Reiseconner
03-22-2012, 12:18 AM
What does it mean if the weapon doesn't have a 01 02 03 beginning? I've also a situation which was already mentioned about none of it working after following the steps and yes I re save to device.

Purpleskuux
03-22-2012, 11:15 PM
15. Skip four bytes and then you are at current upgrades. This can be changed to "01" to reset the upgrades you have used.
when you skip the 4 bytes here, does anyone know what the hex code for these bytes is? its the weapon speed but idk what the code is supossed to be, HELP!

Reiseconner
04-07-2012, 10:26 PM
I have to say with all the information given with the forums and links to other forum posts.. I Give all you guys Kudos for it all thank you so much because I have (just last night) Modded My first three items (Apprentice,Squire,Monk) And Yes they are a bit simple for now I look forward to making it a little more complex sooner or later.

if anyone wishes to add me for a XBL my GT is Reiseconner

roflwaffle
06-11-2013, 12:07 AM
so I can BASICALLY do almost all of this on eternia crystal, and I was wondering about making your level higher and getting your stats in the millions? as far as I'm concerned, 128 stats are nothing compared to that, and I haven't seen a single tutorial for making levels and stats that high. I was wondering if you could, or already have done, a tutorial regarding more than maxed stats. if not, maybe you could redirect me to a tutorial that does tell me how to do so? the only other thing I can't seem to do on eternia crystal is set glows to my weaps and characters, and I can't figure out why. so hex modding should work for THAT, but, like I said, level 10000 and +128 on all stats isn't what I want. I'd like a tutorial on further stat mods, but its your time, and you don't really need to. :003: