PDA

View Full Version : Saab calls it quits

BrayWyatt
12-20-2011, 12:03 AM
www.money.cnn.com

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/2011/12/19/autos/saab_bankrupt/2011-saab-9-5.top.jpg
Swedish automaker Saab has filed for bankruptcy and will likely go out of business.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Swedish automaker Saab has filed for bankruptcy after months of struggle to stay alive. Saab's owners have turned the company's assets over to a Swedish court-appointed receiver.

General Motors (GM, Fortune 500), Saab's former owner, had objected to a recently proposed deal under which the company would have been sold to Chinese investors including carmaker Zhejiang Youngman Lotus Automobile.

The deal required GM's cooperation because it still supplies parts, designs and engineering for Saab products. China is one of GM's largest markets and the U.S. automaker was reportedly concerned that its technology could end up in competing vehicles.

GM still maintains an ownership stake in Saab.
Saab's greatest hits (and misses)

The Board of Saab Automobile subsequently decided that without further funding the company will be insolvent, and that filing bankruptcy was in the best interests of its creditors.

There is a chance that Saab could be purchased, in whole or in parts, out of receivership, Saab spokesman Eric Geers said. Potential buyers would have to negotiate with the defense and aerospace company Saab Group, a separate company which still owns the rights to the Saab name and trademark, and with GM.

"Once an administrator or a receiver is appointed, it is up to them to see what they can do," he said.

GM had no immediate comment on Saab's decision.

GM sold Saab to Swedish Automotive in early 2010 as part of GM's bankruptcy reorganization. Swedish Automotive is a Dutch company that was then known as Spyker, a high-end brand of hand-made sports cars. But Saab continued to struggle under the new ownership.

read the rest here.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/12/19/autos/saab_bankrupt/index.htm?iid=HP_LN&hpt=hp_c2

CloudStrife7x
12-20-2011, 12:06 AM
well that sucks for them, ive never seen there cars but the one in the pic looks kinda nice

BrayWyatt
12-20-2011, 12:16 AM
they made some nice cars. not that i would own.

Serious_M
12-20-2011, 06:28 PM
I saw the news about this and it is sad