PDA

View Full Version : <**COMPLETE TUTORIAL**>> Dungeon Defenders item and charecter modding **complete**

Raklik
01-20-2012, 11:05 PM
This is in no way my original work what so ever. Original props should go out to Ssstonerrr, godslam, Fairchild, and Idlehands88 for their work they did and their original tutorials they wrote. I've had a couple people ask me to teach them due to how cluttered all the tutorials are, so I'm taking all their work and putting it into one easier to handle tutorial. I'm being the good little monkey i am and doing all their dirty work for them, maybe master will be nice and even give me a cookie after my work is done........maybe.......can dream big right? At least i can help you make big weapons and beastly characters though. So lets get to business then.

First things we need are:
1) 1gb usb flash drive for transporting saves, need to configure it to xbox which is explained later
2) modio or horizon for reading save files, horizon is http://www.xboxmb.com/horizon/ and modio is http://www.game-tuts.com/community/modio.php
3)after you need a hex editor, i use hex workshop which is located http://www.hexworkshop.com/
4)Then you need to create a save folder under your c:\ drive so it looks like c:\Saves
5) Fairchilds tool decompression kit main pagehttp://www.360haven.com/forums/showthread.php?7460-Dungeon-Defenders-Compression-Toolkit&highlight=fairchilds+decompression+tool+kit
5a)Fairchilds tool decompression kit download http://www.360haven.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4176&d=1322065236
5b) Ssstonerrr also created a gui based platform for the decompression toolkit. Main download is here for gui based program http://www.mediafire.com/?bwmhv772h5yij7a Main thread for the GUI program is here http://www.360haven.com/forums/showt...sion-Interface
6)Picture to Idlehand88s pic help assist with item modding for hex placements http://www.mediafire.com/?9je2nqf0bnper3i
7)Picture to Ssstonerrr pic to assist with character modding for hex placements http://www.mediafire.com/?xj1aic5ksvyk1zc

here is godslam's initial tutorial

Pre-modding Steps:
Get Modio or Horizon (Modio suggested)
Get Idlehands88's Picture (link below)
Get Fairchild's Decompression Toolkit (link below)
Create folder in "C:\" named "Saves"
Put dd.exe into "C:\Saves"

Modding Steps:
1. Put save on thumbdrive.
2. Put thumbdrive into computer.
3. Extract DunDefSave into C:\Saves using Modio/Horizon
4. Open C:\Saves\DunDefSave with Modio/Horizon
5. Click "File Contents"
6. Right-click DunDefHeroes.dun
7. "Extract File" to C:\Saves
8. Open command prompt window (Windows Key+R then type "cmd" into Run window)
9. Enter "cd C:\Saves" (Now you will be in the C:\Saves folder)
10. To decompress: dd.exe -d DunDefHeroes.dun save.decompressed
11. HEX edit your file. I suggest using Idlehands' tutorial or mine.
12. To compress: dd.exe -c save.decompressed DunDefHeroes.dun
13. Open DunDefSave in Modio/Horizon
14. Click "File Contents"
15. Right-click DunDefHeroes.dun
16. "Replace File" with C:\Saves\DunDefHeroes.dun
17. (Optional) Rehash and resign
18*(my addition). make sure to re-save to device after all is said and done

HINT: While in cmd, you can use TAB to finish file extensions more quickly. Ex. Typing "save" and hitting TAB will finish it with "save.decompressed"

Now this will take you through all the parts of being able to open save, edit the save, and reload the save.
Now lets start talking about big part number 11, the actual editing of the stuff. I'll start off with items/ armor first
When item modding, make sure to reference back to Idlehand88's picture so you know how many spaces you need to skip / so on for what you are looking to do with each item.

now here is godlams guide on hex editing
http://www.360haven.com/forums/showt...geon+defenders

Key:
7F = 127
FE = 254
FF = 255
(At "7F" stats are disabled and below they are negative. Stats can be set to any number from 1-128. Take your number add it to 127 and then convert it from a dec to hex. Example: I want 47 hero health. 47 + 127 = 174 = AE)

Steps:
1. Open "save.decompressed" in Hex Workshop.
2. Find your weapon. (The easiest way to do this is to level it up fully and rename it, then look for the name)
3. Find the beginning of the stats. (The stats for each weapon are before the name. Look for the end of the previous weapon and follow the end look for "01 02 03". This is where the stats begin)
4. The first four bytes (two numbers/letters together) following "01 02 03" are Resistances. These should only be changed for pieces of armor.
Changing these to "FF" or "FE" will suffice.
5. The fifth byte does nothing (that I know of) and should be left alone.
6. The next four bytes control hero stats. These can also be set to "FF" or "FE" to max them out.
7. The next two are hero abilities. Thse can also be set to "FE" or "FF" to max them out.
8. The next four are tower stats and can also be maxed out.
9. Next is physical damage. I change mine to "00 FF FD FE". This is more than enough attack.
10. Additional projectiles is next. This should not be set high because it will make your game lag. Setting it to "93" may even be a bit high.
11. Projectile speed can be a bit crazy and I use "00 00 FF FF".
12. Elemental damage type follows and has a few settings.
01 = Poison
02 = Fire
03 = Electric
13. With elemental damage you should follow the same rules as physical damage. "00 FF FD FE"
14. The next four are item size and should just be left alone unless you have a good understanding of hex.
15. Skip four bytes and then you are at current upgrades. This can be changed to "01" to reset the upgrades you have used.
16. Skip four more and then you are at weapon ranged. This can be set to "FE" for Huntress and Apprentice weapos. Even Monk weapons should work.
17. Skip four and you're at clip size. This can be set t "00 FF FD FE" for a large clip on a gun/bow.
18. Reload speed should only be changed for a bow/gun. Set it to "FE" for maximum.
19. Knockback bonus can be set to "FE" for maximum knockback.
20. Charge speed can also be set to "FE" for Apprentice weapons.
21. Shots per second is for Huntresses and pets. Set this to "FE" for max.
22. Primary, secondary, quality and item color can all be left alone.
23. Max upgrade level is how many times you can level it up. I suggest "64" which is 100.

There are a couple things in here i will change later, i'm just running on my way out the door to a concert right now.

Now character modding is SLIGHTLY, okay maybe a hell of a lot different. When you are character modding make sure that you refer back and forth to the character modding picture. I myself created a little guide i use for when i mod characters. When you mod anything over a certain point, it takes longer to load your characters when you start up. Right now i have 4 characters level 2 million each and it takes me 2 minutes to load roughly, so just be forewarned.

Here is Ssstonerrr's guide to character modding though
http://www.360haven.com/forums/showt...geon+defenders

Hero Information

The maximum positive Hex value is 7F FF FF FF is equivalent to 2,147,483,647

Here's a little help getting started with your Level/Skill Point modding.
{ (Level) x 4 } + 19 = Total Skill Points
...for example...
(1,000,000 x 4) + 19 = 4,000,019
Make sure to keep your Player stats, Abilities, and Tower stats combined UNDER your unique Total Skill Points, or your Character(s) that are over it WILL be RESET to level 0, and the amount of experience will decide what amount of Skill Points, maxing out at level 70 (299 Skill Points)

Keep your Tower Attack Speed low enough to keep your characters towers so they do not shot faster than .02 shots per second, it will nullify the Tower and make it as useful as a 'Magical Barricade'

~~~~Also take in to consideration, the HIGHER the level of your character and amount of skill points, the LONGER it will take your XBOX 360 to load your save (at 'Select Save Device')~~~~
Load time for ONE character under level 2,500,000 is about 5-15 seconds. (depending on your USB/HDD/MU)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Color Information
[For characters AND Weapon]
When I say "in game" I mean when you can select your colors for your characters appearance.

Brightest (Edited in game) Color Hex is 3F 80 00 00
Darkest (Edited in game) Color Hex is 3D CC CC CD
^This may not be exact depending on what color/location (Primary/Secondary/Tertiary) you are looking at, but will be close^
Brightest (Mod-able [Tried]) Color Hex is 48 A0 00 00
Darkest (Mod-able [Tried]) Color Hex is FF 80 00 00
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bright Glow- 48 A0 00 00
Bright, little/no Glow- 40 A0 00 00
Black-3D 00 00 00 (or just put 00 00 00 00)
Pitch Black- FF 80 00 00

**Yes- if you haven't noticed the "Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary Glow" (float) Bytes actually do not affect the coloring/ intensity of the colors, they are simply a Place folder, or may as well be This is ALSO true in the case of weapons, the "Glow" effect is based off the intensity of the colors**

Knowing that the effective range of color is from 48 A0 00 00 to 3D 00 00 00 so if you want a different intensity to a color that is not listed you need to figure that out via "trial & error"

The colors you can make easily... (look at a color wheel)
Red- Red only
Green- Green only
Blue- Blue only
Yellow- Red + Green
Purple- Red + Blue
Cyan/Teal- Green + Blue
Other colors are a combination of the 3 main colors in the game, and can be created via "trial & error"
^Just go and make a NEW character and make the color you want, then copy the color hex values to your weapon/another character^

Weapon information

If you are talking about the Default colors for a weapon (Example- a Pink "High Five" bought from the store) those colors are in the Primary and Secondary Colors (Int8) and range from 01 to 0A (as far as I know, it might be 0F)

And here is the chart i created for leveling hex codes to mod characters completely
This is just a good scale model to see the limitations of what / how many stat points you can place in each category as well as certain tower "breaking points"

---------------------- squ -------------------------- app ----------------------- monk --------------------------- hunt
ply hlth ------ 1.5mil== 00 16 e3 60 ------ 1.5mil== 00 16 e3 60 ----- 1.5mil== 00 16 e3 60 ----- 1.5mil== 00 16 e3 60
ply sped ----- 50k == 00 00 c3 50 -------- 50k == 00 00 c3 50 -------- 50k == 00 00 c3 50 ------ 50k == 00 00 c3 50
ply damg ---- 50k == 00 00 c3 50 -------- 50k == 00 00 c3 50 -------- 50k == 00 00 c3 50 ------- 50k == 00 00 c3 50
ply castspd -- 50k == 00 00 c3 50 ------- 50k == 00 00 c3 50 -------- 50k == 00 00 c3 50 ------- 50k == 00 00 c3 50
ability ------- 150k == 00 00 c3 50 ------ 50k == 00 00 c3 50 -------- 50k == 00 00 c3 50 ------- 50k == 00 00 c3 50
ability ------- 250k == 00 00 c3 50 ------ 50k == 00 00 c3 50 -------- 50k == 00 00 c3 50 ------- 50k == 00 00 c3 50
twr hlth ----- 2 mil == 00 1e 84 80 ------ 2 mil == 00 1e 84 80 ------- 2 mil == 00 1e 84 80 ------- 2 mil == 00 1e 84 80
twr atkspd -- 8000 == 00 00 1f 40 ------ 8000 == 00 00 1f 40 ------- 2 mil == 00 1e 84 80 ------ 2 mil == 00 1e 84 80
twr damg --- 2 mil == 00 1e 84 80 ------ 2 mil == 00 1e 84 80 -------- 2 mil == 00 1e 84 80 ------ 2 mil == 00 1e 84 80
twr rang ---- 2 mil == 00 1e 84 80 ------ 2 mil == 00 1e 84 80 -------- 750 == 00 00 02 ee ------ 1000 == 00 00 03 e8
char lvl ----- 2 mil == 00 1e 84 80 ------ 2 mil == 00 1e 84 80 -------- 2 mil == 00 1e 84 80 ------- 2 mil == 00 1e 84 80

So here you go everyone, i wrote this real quick in about 20 minutes so I'll be making changes here after I'm done tonight. But hope you enjoy this guys. It takes all the scattered information everywhere, and puts it about as EASY as i possibly can make it to help teach you guys how to do this. If you need any more help though do not be afraid to send me a message on here, or on xbox at Raklik (gamertag is same as account name here)

DEDICATIONS
Thanks and props goes out to all who deserve it for their original hard work in doing all this. As i said, I'm just the monkey who thought to finally put it together for all of them to make their lives all easier. Also you can direct questions my way as well for assistance instead of always bombarding them :). Thanks again guys for all your hard work and assistance with teaching me on how to do this, without which, i never would have been able to make this guide for the rest of the population. Enjoy everyone and happy modding
Ssstonerrr
Fairchild
godslam
Idlehands88
and most of all LanceyPantsy for the idea to create the complete tutorial

Noctis Caelum
01-20-2012, 11:25 PM
nicely done may i add :-)

SSSTONERRR
01-21-2012, 01:03 AM
Nice, but I made the character modding tutorial lol

And I'd post links of everyone's original threads as well, but that's only a suggestion, as well as going back and making some spelling corrections.

Idlehands88
01-21-2012, 01:08 AM
Ya nice, but SSSTONERRR is right, he made the character modding tutorial, I made the Item modding tutorial.

Raklik
01-21-2012, 05:12 AM
Thanks guys. I kinda threw this together in about 30 minutes before running out the door tonight. The spell check errors will come with time, lol. That will be sometime tomorrow afternoon, not as important, lol. Any other suggestions though besides the spell check and original threads?

SSSTONERRR
01-21-2012, 06:16 AM
You can add the compression/decompression interface I posted a little bit ago, as a alternative to the whole run around with cmd
but I'll have to upload it to a file sharing website first, I'll do that really quick- done.

Ps you still need to change the character modding picture to say SSSTONERRR at thte top of your post :tastey:

7)Picture to Idlehands88 pic to assist with charecter modding for hex placements http://www.mediafire.com/?xj1aic5ksvyk1zc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~turned into~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
7)Picture to SSSTONERRR pic to assist with charecter modding for hex placements http://www.mediafire.com/?xj1aic5ksvyk1zc

Raklik
01-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Sorry about that again Ssstonerrr, i fixed atleast 1 of the 2 spots for it last night. But atleast its fixed now for the dedications. Whats the link for the gui interface? I tried Faircild's gui base but it actually made it more confusing for me in my opinion then using cmd prompt but to each their own kinda thing on that. I didn't know you made a gui interface as well though Ssstonerrr

SSSTONERRR
01-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Sorry about that again Ssstonerrr, i fixed atleast 1 of the 2 spots for it last night. But atleast its fixed now for the dedications. Whats the link for the gui interface? I tried Faircild's gui base but it actually made it more confusing for me in my opinion then using cmd prompt but to each their own kinda thing on that. I didn't know you made a gui interface as well though Ssstonerrr
I had it complete for about 3 weeks now, I just was testing it to make sure it worked how it was supposed to before i released it.
link to thread: http://www.360haven.com/forums/showthread.php?9657-Dungeon-Defenders-Compression-Decompression-Interface
Link to download: http://www.mediafire.com/?bwmhv772h5yij7a

Raklik
01-22-2012, 04:27 PM
added that ssstonerrr as well as doing the spell check errors so far.

dj201123
01-23-2012, 06:27 PM
what is the hex i put for a level 100 charcter experience

Raklik
01-23-2012, 09:05 PM
00 00 00 64

SSSTONERRR
01-24-2012, 11:35 AM
what is the hex i put for a level 100 charcter experience

Experience does not matter since you are modding past the max level the game registers. there for you only need the level you choose. since you want level 100 you put 00 00 00 64 in for the level, then go to my character modding tutorial and calculate you total skill points, then zero out your skill tree, and distribute your skill points (while hex editing) making sure you do not surpass your total skill point count, other wise the game will reset your modded level character(s) then you load.

Raklik
01-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Fixed all the hyperlinks so now they work correctly

PANCAK3 PUNCH3R
01-24-2012, 07:09 PM
How would I change the Mana a item cost? Because I've seen mods made by this website and a lot of them sell for a shit ton of mana and I'd like to just bank on mana by selling modded items.

SSSTONERRR
01-24-2012, 07:26 PM
How would I change the Mana a item cost? Because I've seen mods made by this website and a lot of them sell for a shit ton of mana and I'd like to just bank on mana by selling modded items.

Simple, just increase the stats/damage, the higher they get the more it will sell or (or cost if you mod your shop items) max is 15mill from the shop, or little over 2bill from your inventory.

PANCAK3 PUNCH3R
01-24-2012, 07:38 PM
What's a decent level for projectile speed, because the one in this guide is incredibly fast.

Also, I've run into a problem with tower health. Everytime I make it FF or FE it just goes to -127 while everything else is fine. Also, the clip size for a bow glitched to 1 when I put what the tutorial suggest. Do you have an solutions to this?

SSSTONERRR
01-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Please replace my Interface link with my new updated link: http://www.mediafire.com/?3hptf5zpd3bcujp

http://www.mediafire.com/?3hptf5zpd3bcujp

shadesdashadow
01-28-2012, 02:50 AM
What's a decent level for projectile speed, because the one in this guide is incredibly fast.

Also, I've run into a problem with tower health. Everytime I make it FF or FE it just goes to -127 while everything else is fine. Also, the clip size for a bow glitched to 1 when I put what the tutorial suggest. Do you have an solutions to this?

I used 00 00 26 F8 which is 9976. Its still fast but does not cause the game to lag. Trying to find a decent speed myself.
I've only done a monk his armor and weapons so far.

SSSTONERRR
01-28-2012, 07:45 AM
I used 00 00 26 F8 which is 9976. Its still fast but does not cause the game to lag. Trying to find a decent speed myself.
Ok, for your tower health you can not set it to FF or FE go back to the first page of this form and look at the hero mods for each one. They are different from hero to hero. And can not help you with the ammo clip. I've only done a monk his armor and weapons so far.

either I'm dumb-struck or your making no sense in the way you worded your sentences...

shadesdashadow
01-28-2012, 07:50 AM
I missed read what he said. Work late last nite and was half asleep when I read and replied to it.
My bad sorry....:disapointed:

SSSTONERRR
01-28-2012, 08:08 AM
then re-word it, or edit it if you figured it out.

RealTuna
01-28-2012, 10:44 PM
I seem to be having problems with the character modding, every time I've done it the memory stick won't load when I start up Dungeon Defenders. Help? :have a nice day:

LanceyPants
01-29-2012, 08:42 PM
I'm such a great protege.

Thanks for all the help Raklik. You are a great teacher.

kentaXmarasume
01-30-2012, 03:02 AM
I seem to be having problems with the character modding, every time I've done it the memory stick won't load when I start up Dungeon Defenders. Help? :have a nice day:if you just wait like 2-5 mins it will load ... if you totally maxed your characters your characters will hold so many bytes that it will take a while to loadthe save

SSSTONERRR
01-30-2012, 05:05 AM
I seem to be having problems with the character modding, every time I've done it the memory stick won't load when I start up Dungeon Defenders. Help? :have a nice day:
If it stalls (takes a extended amount of time) on the loading screen it happens to do with your characters levels, like I said on my tutorial- the higher your characters levels (in general) the longer your load takes, if it doesn't happen at the loading screen I don't quite know what your problem is being caused from. Sorry! :x_x:

the smurferator
03-31-2012, 07:28 AM
what is the hex i put for a level 100 charcter experience the hex for that is 64

Sinamatic
08-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Nice, helped me out alot

thegutta
08-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Awesome tut Raklik great share :)

Serious_M
08-26-2012, 10:17 AM
nice job on this tut Raklik

CloudStrife7x
08-26-2012, 03:46 PM
nice work on this tutorial Raklik

Hetsig
10-19-2012, 02:33 AM
It's pretty weird for me. Everytime i hex towers it resets my level and all my skill points when i load up the game.

Raklik
11-19-2014, 04:28 AM
Seems like some people still have questions about modding Dungeon Defenders, so giving my Tutorial on how to edit from start to finish for people. I will not hold your hand through the modding process itself, but have taken the time with the help of others as well to create this guide to show you step by step how to do it. For an updated version of modding from Sstonerrr you can see his link here (http://www.360haven.com/forums/threads/8740-Tutorial-Dungeon-Defenders-Character-Modding-Tutorial-*v2*). If you have any questions though you can reach me on here or my GT on Xbox live is also Raklik. Happy modding ^_^.

Raklik
11-19-2014, 04:31 AM
If there's actually enough interest in it, I'll post my save on Modio for my fully modded characters that I have, 2 of each character fully modded with weapons / pets as well.