360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Fox News slams Bulletstorm
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

Array

Fox News slams Bulletstorm

Cable channel's online arm asks if EA's shooter is "the worst video game in the world," psychologist links in-game sex and real-life rape.
    If the old adage that there's no such thing as bad publicity is true, Electronic Arts' marketing department must be busting out the bubbly. That's because one of its highest-profile first-quarter releases, Bulletstorm, was just roundly slammed in a scathing article on FoxNews.com.

Fox News disapproves of Bulletstorm's linking of extreme violence and sexual innuendo.

Titled "Is Bulletstorm the Worst Video Game in the World?" the piece criticizes the game for linking sex and violence via innuendo-laden awards in its skillshot system. Award names for feats of in-game carnage include Gag Reflex, Rear Entry, Drilldo, Mile High Club, Gang Bang, and Topless.

The article then goes on to quote two experts who decry the game as being potentially harmful. Dr. Jerry Weichman, a psychologist at the Hoag Neurosciences Institute in Southern California, told FoxNews.com that "If a younger kid experiences Bulletstorm's explicit language and violence, the damage could be significant."

Carol Lieberman, a psychologist and book author, went one step further, linking sexual content in games to a spike in sexual assaults. "The increase in rapes can be attributed in large part to the playing out of [sexual] scenes in video games," she said. (In fact, statistics from the U.S. Department of Justice show rapes declined by nearly 40 percent in 2009.)

FoxNews.com also contacted the Entertainment Consumer Association's Hal Halpin, who equated the ultraviolence in Bulletstorm to that found in some films. "I respect the creative rights of game developers to make a game like Bulletstorm in the same way that I appreciate Quentin Tarantino's right to make over-the-top movies like Kill Bill," said Halpin.

When the subject of the Entertainment Software Ratings Board (ESRB) came up, Halpin defended the current system as it is. Fox also quoted University of Maryland professor Melanie Killen, who advocates the regulation of game sales to minors.

"The marketing is clearly aimed at children and young adolescents," Killen said. "Politicians were organizing efforts to address violent video games prior to the presidential election but got distracted by the election. It is time for senators and representatives to come back to the issue."
    Downloads : 7 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 6931 || Posts : 1,940 || Thanks : 96 || Thanked 568 Times in 319 Posts

Haven Donator

Array
    "The marketing is clearly aimed at children and young adolescents," Killen said. "Politicians were organizing efforts to address violent video games prior to the presidential election but got distracted by the election. It is time for senators and representatives to come back to the issue."

Wait What? This game that that has sexual innuendo is being marketed to kids, hah, that is the most retarded things anyone could say. "Hey guys, lets reference sex and extreme violence, then market it for kids since its a perfect setting for them"
    God Fox have said so much shit over the years but really anyone, this might be a highlight for them.
    Downloads : 8 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 5573 || Posts : 713 || Thanks : 107 || Thanked 79 Times in 53 Posts

Haven Donator
    Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Paprika View Post

Wait What? This game that that has sexual innuendo is being marketed to kids, hah, that is the most retarded things anyone could say. "Hey guys, lets reference sex and extreme violence, then market it for kids since its a perfect setting for them"
    God Fox have said so much shit over the years but really anyone, this might be a highlight for them.
    Isn't Fox owned by an Aussie?

Caboose.
    What ever happened to the responsible parent? How is it we seem to forget how we were raised. I know when i was young and i wanted something i had to ask my mom. If she didn't like it guess what, she didn't buy it. Parents nowadays are a bunch or sissies. Quit trying to be their friend and beat them. This whole blaming games and movies and music for crimes is just wrong. Want to know the real reason your kid is a f*#@ up? Look in the mirror. Kids are a reflection of their parents so the only one to blame is yourself. Games are just that...games. Have fun.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Caboose. For This Useful Post:

Advertiser
    Demon

Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Caboose. View Post
    What ever happened to the responsible parent? How is it we seem to forget how we were raised. I know when i was young and i wanted something i had to ask my mom. If she didn't like it guess what, she didn't buy it. Parents nowadays are a bunch or sissies. Quit trying to be their friend and beat them. This whole blaming games and movies and music for crimes is just wrong. Want to know the real reason your kid is a f*#@ up? Look in the mirror. Kids are a reflection of their parents so the only one to blame is yourself. Games are just that...games. Have fun.

Amen to that i agree with that 150% they want to blame the games well parents guess what stop buying the games

kelticterror1488
    people dont want to see how bad they are so they need a scape goat people face the facts its your fault your kid is messed up not games

Array
    We're actually learning in psychology that video games can lead to the development of violent behavior and I think it's a croc of crap though!
    Downloads : 48 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 5120 || Posts : 296 || Thanks : 97 || Thanked 46 Times in 27 Posts

"When the Rich wage war...It's the Poor who die"

Haven Donator

Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    Isn't Fox owned by an Aussie?
    Dunno, though if he is fuck him:P

Quote Originally Posted by pirknuts View Post
    We're actually learning in psychology that video games can lead to the development of violent behavior and I think it's a croc of crap though!
    Hey if it was 50+ years ago, you would be learning that rock and roll can lead to violent behavior:P the latest scape goat in the never ending war to protect the children.

/Helena Lovejoy's voice "OH Won't Somebody PLEASE think of the children"
    Downloads : 8 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 5573 || Posts : 713 || Thanks : 107 || Thanked 79 Times in 53 Posts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast