360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Report: Next Xbox To Have No Disc Drive Has Durango lost its drive? - Page 2
Register
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    THEx360L3G3NDx

Re: Report: Next Xbox To Have No Disc Drive Has Durango lost its drive?

If this is true this will hurt Microsoft's sales unless the price of games will be decreasing. This could potentially put Game Stop out of business or at least go into debt because they will still have Playstation and Nintendo products. And the used game industry and video game market as a whole would suffer if Microsoft decided to not sell discs for games.

News Reporter

Array

Although I think its inevitable that everything will go strictly digital sooner or later I doubt that it will happen by next year. People just don't have the broadband speeds to cater for downloading 6-8gb games at a time yet. For those people who are still on 10-20mb speeds its going to take hours and hours to download a game, let alone games such as LA Noir and Rage that total in at over 20gb.

I think maybe 5 years in the future things may be a little different but no way by 2013.
    Downloads : 26 || Uploads : 10 || Rep Power : 7325 || Posts : 2,321 || Thanks : 269 || Thanked 615 Times in 419 Posts

Advertiser

Array

I've already filed this under "Believe it when I see it"
    Downloads : 111 || Uploads : 7 || Rep Power : 8160 || Posts : 3,225 || Thanks : 1,151 || Thanked 328 Times in 242 Posts

LEGIT HACKERS DON'T ADVERTISE!

Haven Donator

Array

Quote Originally Posted by longy999 View Post
    Although I think its inevitable that everything will go strictly digital sooner or later I doubt that it will happen by next year. People just don't have the broadband speeds to cater for downloading 6-8gb games at a time yet. For those people who are still on 10-20mb speeds its going to take hours and hours to download a game, let alone games such as LA Noir and Rage that total in at over 20gb.

I think maybe 5 years in the future things may be a little different but no way by 2013.
    I agree, its not the future... yet where this is a plausible alternative to discs. Plus considering the tech it would be fair to assume that conventional games would be 3-4 times larger than what they are as of now, meaning those with bandwidth caps (Australia in particular me with my amazing 15gigs/$100 month OP piece of shit) will be unable to join in on next gen gaming save PC (which isn't a bad thing but I do prefer console)
    Downloads : 8 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 5603 || Posts : 713 || Thanks : 107 || Thanked 79 Times in 53 Posts

Shengtu

if the new xbox is a dedicated console for playing online only, then digital downloads is a possiblity. the dilemma microsoft has is this:-
    if it's digital downloads only, then they will loose a massive amount of customers. not eveyone who owns a conlsole plays online or indeed is connected online.
    as some of you have already pointed out, there's a lot of technical aspects that need adressing worldwide, especially there target continents ie europe, america etc

the next 12 months i suspect a lot of rumours will emerge as to what microsoft does next! lol

i'll start one now... the new xbox has a cable that plugs into your head! lol

Chieferz

disc less xbox?! no way ... old school cartridges LoL?

Advertiser

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Chieferz View Post
    disc less xbox?! no way ... old school cartridges LoL?
    That's not as strange as it seems. It would do away with the annoying scratching that happens to the current disc. One tiny mark and the xbox won't read them lol! Having said that, I don't think they would go that route.......at least not yet.
    Downloads : 111 || Uploads : 7 || Rep Power : 8160 || Posts : 3,225 || Thanks : 1,151 || Thanked 328 Times in 242 Posts

LEGIT HACKERS DON'T ADVERTISE!

Array

Cool 2 Re: Report: Next Xbox To Have No Disc Drive Has Durango lost its drive?

I respect who likes the idea of lack of DVD, bluray ...
    But in my opinion this would be só bad for collectors like me that love to put piles of boxes of games on the desk.
    Internet would need be ultra very fast and Hard drive ultra very bit in sise to make this absoutely possible.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast