360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
possible new computer? need help...
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    unbsjo5qev

possible new computer? need help...

hey guys, thinkin about getting a new comp. Need to know what kind of games it can handle though, can anybody help me?

specs:
    iBUYPOWER Gamer Extreme 903i Desktop PC
    Intel Core i7 2600K(3.40GHz)
    8GB DDR3
    1TB HDD Capacity
    AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

i can easily put out an extra 30-50 bucks to make it 16 gb ddr3 tho, if i need to

Array

Re: possible new computer? need help...

A little more information would be helpful: what kinds of games to you play (mostly FPS, or RTS, etc?), and what is the native resolution and refresh rate of your monitor?
    Assuming FPS/action games are the main focus, with a monitor in the ballpark of 1920 by 1200 (or 1080) @60hz, the machine is probably fine. It never hurts to go a little better on the videocard, though unless your monitor is a higher resolution/refresh rate, the 1GB of fast video ram is probably adequate unless running huge mods (PC texture mods). If playing something that is HDD intesive, a small SSD may be worth looking into for games (with most storage material remaining on the cheaper diskdrive).

unbsjo5qev

well, it is a premade comp, and im not all that good at building comps. as for games, mostly stuff like skyrim, but i plan to use community mods for it and stuff, not so much fps tho, i got 360 for that

Haven Donator

Array

In my opinion, if you can find someone to build it for you, get the shop to drop the Radeon GPU and add Nvidia GTX 460 or better (if you have the cash) and get the 1tb drive as storage and pop in a SSD drive as the master drive (Solid State Drive)

8 Gigs is more than enough for gaming purposes (Most games are limited to 4 gigs (Shit Skyrim was launched as a 2 gig Application)
    Downloads : 8 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 5612 || Posts : 713 || Thanks : 107 || Thanked 79 Times in 53 Posts

unbsjo5qev

whats the benefit of ssd?

Haven Donator

Array

Quote Originally Posted by unbsjo5qev View Post
    whats the benefit of ssd?
    Its a lot faster than any Hard drives available. At the moment there quite limited in size (I think the largest is about 250gigs and that is quite expensive) but performance wise, theres nothing faster or better.
    Downloads : 8 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 5612 || Posts : 713 || Thanks : 107 || Thanked 79 Times in 53 Posts

arkangel602

SSD only helps loading time such as for FPS you ll be the first one to finish loading the maps but other then that you can shave off few hundreds not getting an SSD and just save money on a graphics card.
    gtx 480 is definitely a good buy. can find for $200-250 and can play almost anything in high setting. you technically don't have to get an Nvidia card but intel+nvidia is bread and butter just like amd and radeon.
    DDR3 is cheap nowadays so definitely more the better it doesn't hurt at all.
    Overall looks good.

Haven Donator

Array

Quote Originally Posted by arkangel602 View Post
    SSD only helps loading time such as for FPS you ll be the first one to finish loading the maps but other then that you can shave off few hundreds not getting an SSD and just save money on a graphics card.
    gtx 480 is definitely a good buy. can find for $200-250 and can play almost anything in high setting. you technically don't have to get an Nvidia card but intel+nvidia is bread and butter just like amd and radeon.
    DDR3 is cheap nowadays so definitely more the better it doesn't hurt at all.
    Overall looks good.
    Don't underestimate a good Drive, there main function will increase performance and speed and combined with a new good Graphics Card, you will have a superb gaming rig for at least a 3-5 years

$120 will net you a 120 gig SSD, and about $250 for a GTX 560 GPU. So a bit on the pricey side, but it would heavily increase performance for your system

And finally like I said before, no game at this current time is using more than 4 gigs to run, extra ram wont make that much difference (Unless it is running at a faster setting)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast