360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Microsoft updating Xbox 360 disc format
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    VIP Member

Array

Angry Microsoft updating Xbox 360 disc format

Company asks for US volunteers to test next system update, offers Halo: Reach as a reward for participating gamers.
    Microsoft is gearing up for the next Xbox 360 system update, but it needs gamers' help testing a few things out. The company today announced a new System Update Preview Program for US-based Xbox 360 owners to help test a new disc format for the system.

Are there three more exciting words in the English language than "new disc format"?

By signing up at the Microsoft Connect website and filling out a survey, US gamers can volunteer to take part in the preview program. Multiple thousands of gamers will be chosen to participate, with Xbox Live Gold members receiving priority over their non-paying Xbox Live Silver counterparts.

Participants will receive a copy of Halo: Reach (and possibly other rewards as well) for their trouble, but the program is not without risk. During the registration process, Microsoft warns that due to the nature of pre-release software updates, there's a chance participants could wind up with non-functioning systems. The agreement makes no mention of Microsoft repairing systems broken as a result of the update.

When asked what security or storage benefits the new disc format might bring, a Microsoft representative told GameSpot there were no additional details to share at this tim
    Downloads : 7 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 6932 || Posts : 1,940 || Thanks : 96 || Thanked 568 Times in 319 Posts

Array
    Quote Originally Posted by jkipp82 View Post
    Company asks for US volunteers to test next system update, offers Halo: Reach as a reward for participating gamers.

so flashing our xbox will be end with this update. really a bad news
    Downloads : 23 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 0 || Posts : 90 || Thanks : 41 || Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

[CENTER][IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Z50Ik1LwTlQ/TFiL5i3w3UI/AAAAAAAADhc/jSTzuwFZsHo/s1600/header_655_crysis_2.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

VIP Member

Array
    probably but who knows we gotta wait for the system update.
    Downloads : 7 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 6932 || Posts : 1,940 || Thanks : 96 || Thanked 568 Times in 319 Posts

Array
    I signed up for it so I can see whats going to be in it. If I get accepted I will post findings.

Array
    i'm a connect participant already and i dont see it anywhere

Extorris
    Array
    Code:
    Earlier today, Microsoft’s Major Nelson let Xbox 360 owners know that Microsoft is currently looking for several thousand beta testers to test out the new system update and partake in a beta test of a new disc format that the system will soon take advantage of. Limited to residents of the United States, Microsoft will send all that are chosen to partake in the betat a copy of Halo: Reach, which will come on the new disc format.

Microsoft has already dismissed claims of the new format being Bluray, but a hacker is claiming to know the secrets of the update and has revealed what he knows. According to his information, Microsoft will release a new DVD model known as XGD3. This will allow for additional storage space and other fine upgrades over the current DVD model they are using.

“MS will introduce xgd3 – this will add more ap checks, cvi (content integrity) checks, increase the disc size and adds a new layer for protection issues – all in the 20500 sdk! bring it on!”

This information hasn’t been confirmed and should be taken as a rumor until confirmed by Microsoft.
    Oh SNAP.

News Reporter

Array
    Will give the modders and hackers something new to play with I suppose, I doubt it will take too long before someone figures out how to break it open

Extorris
    Array
    Quote Originally Posted by longy999 View Post
    Will give the modders and hackers something new to play with I suppose, I doubt it will take too long before someone figures out how to break it open
    inb4 C4E owns the new structure :P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast