360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
How many people have tried ASP?
Register
    Advertiser
    Array

How many people have tried ASP?

Well I thought I would break the ice in this section lol. So how many people here have tried ASP.NET and what are your thoughts?

I have done about 1 and a half years of PHP so when I switched to ASP.NET it took some time to get my head around the database interaction(so simple now I understand). The rest of it came fairly easy due to the number of tutorials and documentation it has. Also another reason I love ASP.NET is because of the MVC framework which works amazingly and is just simply great. One problem I do have is that you need a Windows Server to host your site which can be costly so that to me is the only downside to ASP.NET.

Hoshikage

Array

Re: How many people have tried ASP?

Quote Originally Posted by XMBDave View Post
    Well I thought I would break the ice in this section lol. So how many people here have tried ASP.NET and what are your thoughts?

I have done about 1 and a half years of PHP so when I switched to ASP.NET it took some time to get my head around the database interaction(so simple now I understand). The rest of it came fairly easy due to the number of tutorials and documentation it has. Also another reason I love ASP.NET is because of the MVC framework which works amazingly and is just simply great. One problem I do have is that you need a Windows Server to host your site which can be costly so that to me is the only downside to ASP.NET.
    You mind posting some asp tutorials? I am currently working with it and I can say I am sh*t!
    Downloads : 69 || Uploads : 22 || Rep Power : 8239 || Posts : 2,733 || Thanks : 557 || Thanked 2,980 Times in 735 Posts

## If you don't Contribute || Help - Why should I Contribute || Help - Leechers Should not be helped ##

Wisdom Sold Seperately

Array

I still have the source for my blood money asp editor if thats of any use, a large portion of the code was handled by nate but i threw in a few customisations here and there, completely oblivious to the underpinnings and innerworkings of course, more fun that way.
    It works so thats something, only thing i was majorly concerned about was the file size limitations and such, if handled improperly you might be looking at an exploit.
    I've become more of a wpf/silverlight fan as of late, the security limitations however are utter bullshit.
    Downloads : 101 || Uploads : 18 || Rep Power : 5631 || Posts : 574 || Thanks : 51 || Thanked 463 Times in 200 Posts

Advertiser
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by pureIso View Post
    You mind posting some asp tutorials? I am currently working with it and I can say I am sh*t!
    What are you have troubles with? I can probably make some for the basics like bundles, routes, database interaction, login system.

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
    I still have the source for my blood money asp editor if thats of any use, a large portion of the code was handled by nate but i threw in a few customisations here and there, completely oblivious to the underpinnings and innerworkings of course, more fun that way.
    It works so thats something, only thing i was majorly concerned about was the file size limitations and such, if handled improperly you might be looking at an exploit.
    I've become more of a wpf/silverlight fan as of late, the security limitations however are utter bullshit.
    I created a GTA IV mod tool with ASP.NET. Worked pretty well and had a good way of doing it. I increased the file size limitations in the web.config file to 50mb so that isn't a problem. I have been doing WPF lately too and I love it. Much better than WinForms.

S.A.M. Modding Heaven

Array

Well I'm just starting to learn asp.net now. Been fun thus far and pretty interesting
    Downloads : 15 || Uploads : 48 || Rep Power : 5478 || Posts : 450 || Thanks : 94 || Thanked 467 Times in 179 Posts

Editing, Dumping

This Nerd Won't Quit No Matter What

Array

I'm a c# mvc developer (self employed with it), moved over from webforms (hated them), and did classic asp before that. Love mvc\razor :)

Advertiser
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by firebirduk View Post
    I'm a c# mvc developer (self employed with it), moved over from webforms (hated them), and did classic asp before that. Love mvc\razor :)
    I skipped web forms because I knew I wouldn't like it and one of the main reasons why I jumped to ASP.NET was because of the MVC framework which it comes with. I love it so much makes my life so easy although it did take me a while to get database stuff working because of how I was used to PHP. :P Been working with ASP MVC for about 7 months now.
    Downloads : 3 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 4191 || Posts : 25 || Thanks : 13 || Thanked 36 Times in 7 Posts

Array

If u compare ASP.net and PHP.. which would you prefer more? Im a newcomer in the web developer world. I studied designing and my skills are html for front end only.. I've never learned back end programming. Im trying to learn even deeper now. What would you recommend..? Im quite interested in developing interactive sites. Between php and asp.net, which can do more? Which is more marketable? I need help deciding..

Also, which kind of programming language is more suitable for back end programming? To learn how to program the database of the website. I would like to be involved in developing websites for banking purposes or maybe trading purposes where people get to place order, those kind of website.

Thanks..
    Last edited by eddygan; 10-31-2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Add more info..