360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Weidman made history at UFC 162 - Page 2
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Array

Re: Weidman made history at UFC 162

Quote Originally Posted by UWSCSS View Post
    I follow MMA and I thought the fight was thrown by Silva. Maybe it was fixed and maybe it wasn't but he definitely let Weidman win. Weidman didn't earn the title and if Silva had actually tried to defend his title properly Weidman would be 9-1 right now instead of 10-0.

edit: Not a Silva fan.
    How can you say Weidman didn't earn the victory when he beat Silva at his own game? Silva got overconfident, and it cost him. When you have beaten everyone who has stood in front of you, and this new comer with a 19-0 record comes up and challenges you, you think you will beat him easily.
    Silva underestimated his opponent, He thought Weidman would do the same thing everyone else does. Silva got caught, it can happen to anyone.

You could tell Silva was tired, but that does not mean he threw the fight. Silva was relieved when the fight was over, because all the pressure of being champion was lifted. It was just a simple mistake by Silva, and shows even the greats can have a mental lapse. Do not mistake that for a fixed fight, just a fighter who was burnt out and was mentally fatigued.

I hope we Silva fight again, and when we do, I hope people will not immediately jump on his band wagon. When he wins with his traditional hands down taunting, I have a feeling people will starting saying how easy he made it look. And after hearing how everyone says he threw the fight, that just makes MMA fans llok bad. Either stick with him, or don't.

Just remember Live by the sword, die by the sword. Silva died by the same sword that he lived by, his hands down taunting, and got caught. That is all there is to this story, unless Silva comes out and says he threw the fight.

@drizzy The UFC is nothing like WWE. Boxing is more like WWE then any other sport. Every fighter has a day like Silva had. Fedor had to go through it.

@cloud I can understand how Silva fans are upset, but to say he didn't give it his all is not fair. How many times did he win with his cocky tactics. That is just what he does. The fact that he got caught does not mean he didn't give it his all. Silva got in Weidman's head at the end of the first, Weidman started standing up, and Silva looked like Silva during the early parts of Rnd 2. Silva always does his dancing, and juking with hands down, he is a counter puncher, it was Weidman who saw right through all that, and went in with the heavy hands. Don't think Silva didn't give it his all, because he did.
    Downloads : 10 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 4133 || Posts : 46 || Thanks : 23 || Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

Array

I'm surprised you could tell that he was tired and relieved the pressure of defending his title is finally off his shoulders. I recall reading an article before the Silva v. Weidman fight saying that the last 3 of Silva's title defenses were supposed to have been very tough challenges and they turned out to be nothing special which he easily won. Weidman was supposed to be one of those guys who could seriously make Silva's defense extremely difficult. I don't know if we saw the same fight but from was obvious enough to me, Weidman didn't display superior skill, ability or anything at all that is worthy of being the new title holder. Now, whether Silva decided to throw the fight, whether it was fixed or because he was "tired and got caught clowning around" is pretty irrelevant because of the post-fight interview where he looked totally fine, not even winded, didn't even look rattled that he just lost his title. I don't believe Weidman is a true champion because he didn't beat the very best, the very best decided he didn't want to have a real fight and Weidman happened to be the current title challenger. I believe Silva's actions strongly suggest that had anyone fought that night he wouldn't blew it big time either way. He didn't care, he wasn't interested in defending his title in a serious manner and Weidman shouldn't be proud of his win because he didn't earn it and on top of it Silva basically embarrassed himself along with everyone else who was excited to see a real fight that night.
    Downloads : 11 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 4571 || Posts : 183 || Thanks : 116 || Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts

If anyone's willing to lend me their spare time and mod a couple of saves for me, I have a couple of requests.
    NIER & Darksiders

The Immortal God
    Rpg_Fan

Array
    Twitter: @

Quote Originally Posted by smurfsniper View Post
    How can you say Weidman didn't earn the victory when he beat Silva at his own game? Silva got overconfident, and it cost him. When you have beaten everyone who has stood in front of you, and this new comer with a 19-0 record comes up and challenges you, you think you will beat him easily.
    Silva underestimated his opponent, He thought Weidman would do the same thing everyone else does. Silva got caught, it can happen to anyone.

You could tell Silva was tired, but that does not mean he threw the fight. Silva was relieved when the fight was over, because all the pressure of being champion was lifted. It was just a simple mistake by Silva, and shows even the greats can have a mental lapse. Do not mistake that for a fixed fight, just a fighter who was burnt out and was mentally fatigued.

I hope we Silva fight again, and when we do, I hope people will not immediately jump on his band wagon. When he wins with his traditional hands down taunting, I have a feeling people will starting saying how easy he made it look. And after hearing how everyone says he threw the fight, that just makes MMA fans llok bad. Either stick with him, or don't.

Just remember Live by the sword, die by the sword. Silva died by the same sword that he lived by, his hands down taunting, and got caught. That is all there is to this story, unless Silva comes out and says he threw the fight.

@drizzy The UFC is nothing like WWE. Boxing is more like WWE then any other sport. Every fighter has a day like Silva had. Fedor had to go through it.

@cloud I can understand how Silva fans are upset, but to say he didn't give it his all is not fair. How many times did he win with his cocky tactics. That is just what he does. The fact that he got caught does not mean he didn't give it his all. Silva got in Weidman's head at the end of the first, Weidman started standing up, and Silva looked like Silva during the early parts of Rnd 2. Silva always does his dancing, and juking with hands down, he is a counter puncher, it was Weidman who saw right through all that, and went in with the heavy hands. Don't think Silva didn't give it his all, because he did.
    sorry man i disagree that he did give it his all, he looked like he didn't care or wanted to fight IMO, i know that Silva does those tactics but he didn't look like the Silva who won his previous title defenses, again this is just my opinion and im sticking with it, all in all i still think Silva is an awesome fighter and always will, i respect Silva, unlike other fans who left him or booed him the second he lost, i still am his fan no matter what
    Downloads : 157 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 24466 || Posts : 18,751 || Thanks : 4,451 || Thanked 3,096 Times in 2,607 Posts

Array

Every true champion wants to be beaten. It's becomes a lonely road if you're always on top. My old platoon commander from the Marine Corps is now a UFC fighter so hopefully one day I'll be able to see Brian " the all American" Stann as the top dog of UFC.
    Downloads : 48 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 5151 || Posts : 296 || Thanks : 97 || Thanked 46 Times in 27 Posts

"When the Rich wage war...It's the Poor who die"

Array

@UWSCSS

"I'm surprised you could tell that he was tired and relieved the pressure of defending his title is finally off his shoulders."

Any fighter has a feeling of relief after a fight. After all the training and the fight they can finally rest. You could see it in his mannerisms, and how he spoke.

"Weidman didn't display superior skill, ability or anything at all that is worthy of being the new title holder."

He basically had his way with Silva in the 1st round. If it was anyone else but Silva, he would have locked in the knee bar for the sub.

"I don't believe Weidman is a true champion because he didn't beat the very best, the very best decided he didn't want to have a real fight and Weidman happened to be the current title challenger."

Why? Because Silva does what he always does, his clowning around tactics is a strategy, and mind games. he has demoralized many fighters with that tactic, and when they stop attacking, he jumps in with a counter. Weidman missed up to 25 strikes when Silva was "clowning around", His only fault was he did not respect Weidman and overplayed his hand. Weidman beat the champion, give the man some respect, he was the first person to beat Silva in 7 years.

@Cloud I just think Silva took the fight lightly. He was expecting Weidman to shoot in, and he thought he could win the stand up war. It may not have looked like the Silva of the past, I do think it was just a lack of respect for his opponent. His tactics was working because Weidman was whiffing on a lot of punches, but he just kept his hands a little longer then needed, that is what cost him the match. In the rematch come Dec 28th, I think we will see the Silva we wanted to see. Nice to hear you are still a fan of his.

@pirknuts

Thank you for your service, and all the sacrifices that y'all make everyday. Everyone who serves has my respect, and gratitude. How weird is it to see him act like a civilian, and not your CO?

I hope Brian Stann makes it to the top one day as well. I have been following him since his WEC debut, and been a fan of his from day one.

"Every true champion wants to be beaten. It's becomes a lonely road if you're always on top."

That is probably the truest thing I read on the internet in a week. As a champion, you are the face of the company(especially if you have never been beaten in the company), you hardly see your loved ones. Always have to meet some obligation or another. The time you do get to see your family you are mentally preparing for the next fight, and soon heading to a camp.
    Downloads : 10 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 4133 || Posts : 46 || Thanks : 23 || Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ralphie

I predicted this loss. I only regret I didn't bet on it :P When you're champ for so long you'll eventually lose by either getting sloppy or cocky and this is was happened. Whether or not being cocky and fooling was part of the gameplan, it didn't work out well for Anderson. However, I'm convinced that he learned a lot from this loss and if his motivation is still there, he'll win a rematch for sure. He's simply the better skilled fighter.

beast1x5

the runback will be bananas... I find it weird how there's a chris weidman day in long island.. >_>

Array

Anderson Silva wanted to lose, you could tell after when they interveiwed him, he says I was tired and he wanted to spend time with his family. If silver tried instead of clowning around, he would of flawed him first round

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12