360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Best old school system
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

Best old school system

well i was wondering in you guys opinion what was the best old school gameing system. myself personally I think it was the sega cd2 system you got both of best worlds and a hard drive in a console. they were way ahead in their time but didnt really have the video graphics to back it. so what all kinds of systems yall like?

JENGA MASTER SUPREME
    Emerald Lance

Array

Re: Best old school system

Great topic. ^-^

Sega was always ahead of its time, and sadly that wasn't a good thing for them. While the Sega CD was an ultra powerhouse to match the Turbo Grafix during the 16-bit era, it basically suffered from the same ailments as the Kinect does today: it came out in between console launches as an add-on for the existing 16-bit console instead of as its own 32-bit console later down the road, at such a point where everybody who owned a Genesis/Megadrive didn't want to drop another few hundred dollars just to be able to play a handful of extra games (few games were being made for it because the Sega CD both didn't sell well due to the aforementioned reason and because games were instead being readied for the then newer Saturn). It really didn't help that they also released another mid-life add-on in the form of a 32-bit attachment around the same time (Sega 32X), which was also expensive. The Sega CD was and is an under-appreciated piece of hardware that was capable of amazing feats for its time. It's just a shame that Sega was so impatient, because the Saturn was basically a 32-bit Sega CD and was released in competition with the Playstation and N64 (which is the best time to release a console), but nobody bought it because the Sega CD and 32X were so unsuccessful.

My favorite old school system is the SNES. Despite the fact that processor wasn't nearly as fast as the one the Genesis/Megadrive used, as well as that Genesis/Megadrive could support C coding without much trouble (which SNES could not), just about everything else was superior: the graphics chip could rotate sprites and was much more versatile in handling palettes and tiles, the sound chip had a far more diverse and just better sounding set of samples, it had four face buttons and two shoulder buttons (as opposed to Genesis/Megadrive's three face buttons and zero shoulder buttons) which allowed for more complex game controls, there was a much larger and more diverse library of exclusives, it tended to handle multi-plats better (with a few exceptions like Earthworm Jim and Madden), arcade ports tended to be much more faithful on SNES than Genesis/Megadrive, and the mid-live add-on that Nintendo released was a fairly inexpensive attachment that allowed users to play their Gameboy games on the TV (instead of an extremely expensive attachment that used proprietary games). I love Sonic and all, but Super Mario World and Link to the Past are tough cookies to beat.
    Downloads : 22 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 6839 || Posts : 1,834 || Thanks : 436 || Thanked 633 Times in 307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SaiyanPrince302, commenting on how to become a Super Saiyan,
    "I know where these guys are going, but in all seriousness, just trying to imagine loved ones being killed almost never works. Be a man and travel into space and shoot at asteroids until you get yourself in an actual life threatening situation."
    --Gamefaqs.com

Array

It is kinda sad how Sega had all of these great ideas and just fell out of the console business so quickly and now a lot of their games in my opinion kinda stinks and are terrible hate to say it they my wells let Sonic die or at least make him a first person shooter with an AK

The Immortal God
    Rpg_Fan

Array
    Twitter: @

well its kinda hard for me to choose, so many great old school systems and so many great memories, but for me it would have to be between SNES and Playstation 1, so many great games on both systems :D
    Downloads : 157 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 24462 || Posts : 18,751 || Thanks : 4,451 || Thanked 3,096 Times in 2,607 Posts

Retired Staff

Array

For me i really loved the PS1 n the Sega Dreamcast best two old school systems :D
    Downloads : 47 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 15497 || Posts : 10,471 || Thanks : 3,231 || Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,224 Posts

Array

The Ps1 has my all time favorite which is ff7 but before that game came out does anyone remember Lunar: The Silver Star this was the first rpg game i really ever got into and it was cool that sony made a remake but they changed a lot about the gameplay and layout

The Immortal God
    Rpg_Fan

Array

Quote Originally Posted by tiki joe View Post
    The Ps1 has my all time favorite which is ff7 but before that game came out does anyone remember Lunar: The Silver Star this was the first rpg game i really ever got into and it was cool that sony made a remake but they changed a lot about the gameplay and layout
    yup i remember that rpg game, its was a great game, i also have the remake on my ps vita :) and my favorite game is FFVII as well :D, another reason i love the ps1 ;)
    Downloads : 157 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 24462 || Posts : 18,751 || Thanks : 4,451 || Thanked 3,096 Times in 2,607 Posts

Array

its pretty amazing how far systems have come from the original magnavox odyssey with all the screens to change the tv to what we have now like the 360

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast