Sony Won't Guarantee Driveclub PS Plus Release - IGN

Sony appears unwilling to guarantee Driveclub's PS Plus Edition will be released, according to a new interview.

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe president and CEO Jim Ryan seemed reticent when talking to Metro about the state of the version previously-announced as being free to PS Plus subscribers.

"That’s still being looked at," he said when asked about whether it was still planned, before adding "I can’t say anything at this stage," when pushed on the point. Last we heard the version was postponed until further notice.

Ryan went on to offer some insight into how the issue was handled once it became apparent Driveclub's launch was suffering issues, assuring us that it was swiftly prioritised.

"Everybody in this building [Sony Europe HQ in London] and in the development community was absolutely distraught," he said. "I don’t think anybody should labour under the opinion that there was any feeling of insouciance or anybody being relaxed about that being the case.

"People were working 24/7, and that’s an expression that’s lightly used but people were working 24/7 trying to fix this. Now, should the game have worked at launch? Of course. Should people pay £50 for something and expect it to work? Of course.

"I think one thing that the industry appears to have misjudged in the generational transition - where there’s a lot spoken about moving to a more straightforward PC architecture that should make it easy for developers to come to terms with next gen and all of that - is I think the massively enhanced online ambitions a lot of developers and publishers have identified as one of the opportunists of next gen, appear to have been way more technically challenging than anyone realised."

In other news, PlayStation UK boss Fergal Gara also admitted last year that the company and Evolution Studios were "embarrassed" over Driveclub's launch issues. As Evolution explained last year, all Driveclub's post-release track content will be provided free. For those waiting for the PS Plus version that was promised however, it seems the wait is set to continue.