Big news coming soon, apparently
Microsoft will make a pair of big Xbox hardware announcements at E3 in June, if a new report from Microsoft blogger Brad Sams is anything to go on.
Name:  3054799-xbox.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  11.5 KB
Citing sources inside Microsoft, Sams reports on Paul Thurrott's blog that the company will announce a new Xbox device at its briefing, along with a new Xbox One controller. This pad is said to be similar in design to the existing one, though it will reportedly come in a new color that could be white. Microsoft already offers a white controller in some Xbox One bundles, but this would be a new color for standard bundles.

As for the new Xbox device, Sams says this could be a new version of the Xbox One Elite console or something totally new. "This will be a big year for Microsoft at E3 as the company tries once again to show that its console is the better choice when sized up against the PS4," he said.
The existing Xbox One Elite model is the most expensive system Microsoft offers, retailing for $500, though it's marked down to $450 until the end of the month. It features a 1 TB solid state hybrid hard drive that helps the system boot up 20 percent faster than the regular version from energy-saving mode.

A unique, transforming Elite controller ($150) is included with the package and can also be purchased separately.

On top of the new Xbox device and controller, Microsoft may also discuss its efforts to more deeply link Xbox One and Windows 10 as part of the E3 briefing, according to Sams.

Just recently, Xbox boss Phil Spencer teased that Microsoft would talk about things "beyond" Xbox One and Windows 10 in the coming weeks and months, a potential reference to E3. Microsoft recently announced exactly when its briefing would be held

Earlier this month, a report claimed that Microsoft was testing a "variety" of new Xbox prototypes, including apparently ones that can be upgraded like a PC.

Before that, Spencer talked about how Microsoft will eventually "come out with new hardware capability during a generation." The executive never said it would be this generation, and has made it clear that you won't be opening up your Xbox One with a screwdriver to install new parts.

Additionally, Spencer has said Xbox fans should not expect an Xbox One and a half.

"I'm not a big fan of Xbox One and a half. If we're going to move forward, I want to move forward in big numbers," Spencer said recently. "For us, our box is doing well. It performs, it's reliable, the servers are doing well. If we're going to go forward with anything, like I said, I want it to be a really substantial change for people--an upgrade."

Microsoft may not be the only platform-holder showing new hardware at E3. Reports have suggested Sony is working on a new, more powerful PlayStation 4. There has been no mention yet of a venue for its announcement, but E3 being the biggest show of the year would seem to be a likely candidate.

As for Nintendo, the company said today it will not showcase the NX at E3.

A Microsoft representative told GameSpot, "We do not comment on rumors or speculation."