Activision wins ruling, regains control of ModernWarfare3.com
Register
    VIP Member

Array

Activision wins ruling, regains control of ModernWarfare3.com

Name:  modernwarfare3domain.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  34.2 KB
    The issue of the web domain ModernWarfare3.com, originally spotted thanks to a (presumably unofficial) Battlefield 3 promotion and later outed by DNS service GoDaddy, has been settled,
    and you guessed it, Activision and its lawyers have prevailed. The National Arbitration Forum has decided unanimously in favor of the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 publisher, saying that the three criteria necessary for a domain name transfer (that the name is confusing, the holder has no real interest in the domain name, and the name is "being used in bad faith") have all been met. The three-member panel has ordered that the domain name be transferred back to Activision.

Currently, the domain name appears to be offline, but presumably as soon as Activision can get it up and running, it'll redirect right into the official Modern Warfare 3 site.

Too bad for Battlefield 3 fan and Florida resident Anthony Abraham, who tried to argue both fair use, and that the term "modern warfare" was generic enough to have a life outside of the video game world. Hopefully he's still got ElderScrolls5.com sitting in his back pocket, just waiting for a competitor to promote.
    Downloads : 7 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 6962 || Posts : 1,940 || Thanks : 96 || Thanked 568 Times in 319 Posts

Security
    Overlord

Array

Re: Activision wins ruling, regains control of ModernWarfare3.com

well we all knew they would win since it said modernwarfare 3 so i hope they focus on the game now not law suits

nice find jkipp

Sancho Villa

yeah nice find...i wonder if this guy was like hmm ill take this domain name maybe they will pay me for taking their name...as far a generic goes it is but not with the 3 at the end...maybe it would of been a little more understandable if he had just modernwarfare.com instead of with the 3 at the end. And i also hope they focus more on the game now...from what i saw it looks amazing but like always cant judge it by its rep can't wait to play it.

Haven Donator

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho Villa View Post
    yeah nice find...i wonder if this guy was like hmm ill take this domain name maybe they will pay me for taking their name...as far a generic goes it is but not with the 3 at the end...maybe it would of been a little more understandable if he had just modernwarfare.com instead of with the 3 at the end. And i also hope they focus more on the game now...from what i saw it looks amazing but like always cant judge it by its rep can't wait to play it.
    Thats how the first domain name grab went. people who wanted that domain name would pay top dollar to obtain it.

Now granted I may be bias in this since I hate CoD nowdays, but the owner should have been by right paid for the domain name. sure it was inactive but thats not to stop the owner from putting up content at a later date. I'd say that was the owners mistake in the end leaving it inactive.
    Should;'ve have used it under the pretense of 3 current wars/ battles that are occuring in the world (Afghan, Iraq and Libya) that way he could've at least had argued it was to report on these "3" "Modern Warfares" :P
    Downloads : 8 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 5604 || Posts : 713 || Thanks : 107 || Thanked 79 Times in 53 Posts

1989mike951

cant wait til it comes out i think i call of work for the day of release

JENGA MASTER SUPREME
    Emerald Lance

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
    Should;'ve have used it under the pretense of 3 current wars/ battles that are occuring in the world (Afghan, Iraq and Libya) that way he could've at least had argued it was to report on these "3" "Modern Warfares" :P
    That's actually not a bad idea.
    Downloads : 22 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 6843 || Posts : 1,834 || Thanks : 436 || Thanked 633 Times in 307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SaiyanPrince302, commenting on how to become a Super Saiyan,
    "I know where these guys are going, but in all seriousness, just trying to imagine loved ones being killed almost never works. Be a man and travel into space and shoot at asteroids until you get yourself in an actual life threatening situation."
    --Gamefaqs.com