360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Anonymous vows internet blackout if Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) is passed
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    whiityp

Anonymous vows internet blackout if Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) is passed

Hacktivist group Anonymous has promised to strike back with an internet blackout if the controversial Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) is approved.
    A vote on the legislation was delayed this week and is not likely to be held until the new year. However, Anonymous suggested that this delay is a smokescreen, and that the law "further proves the reality of corporate rule and totalitarianism".

"SOPA tramples civil rights laws, fair use, freedom of press and freedom of speech. Under SOPA an average person could be arrested, fined, sued and spend time in a federal prison for as little as uploading a video to YouTube or even linking to one," Anonymous said in a statement.

The group has vowed to strike back in a big way if the legislation becomes law, and has called on its members to deface web sites with protest messages in a bid to get the anti-Act message to as many people as possible.

"Let's replace the face of the internet with a clear message about how we feel about censorship. Replace the front page of every web site we can with a simple, clear protest page," Anonymous said.

"Encourage friends, businesses, organisations, social media to take a stand alongside us in the same way. Get this image and message everywhere online. Plant the seeds of dissent wherever they can grow."

The hackers said that supporters should also deface billboards and advertisements with similar messages.

"Get people talking. Put the truth not only where it can be seen, but where it cannot be avoided. This is something everyone can do. We are legion, this is our voice, people are listening, we will be heard," the statement said.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to whiityp For This Useful Post:

News Reporter

Array

Re: Anonymous vows internet blackout if Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) is passed

Nice share, the first I've heard about it to be honest. For anyone who wants more information on the act check out the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act
    Downloads : 26 || Uploads : 10 || Rep Power : 7323 || Posts : 2,321 || Thanks : 269 || Thanked 615 Times in 419 Posts

The Immortal God
    Rpg_Fan

Array
    Twitter: @

i also never heard about this, but i dont pay attention to politics really, but a good find and share man
    Downloads : 157 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 24464 || Posts : 18,751 || Thanks : 4,451 || Thanked 3,096 Times in 2,607 Posts

Gfx Artist
    Rpg_Fan

Array

Never heard of it until now either. But I'm totally against SOPA, that's for sure.

I get that SOPA wants to stop piracy and all, but this is not the way.
    Downloads : 25 || Uploads : 1 || Rep Power : 5876 || Posts : 925 || Thanks : 86 || Thanked 234 Times in 134 Posts

MutjinNinja

I knew anon couldn't keep their noses out of this. It's straight up their alley. However, I hope they have a few more tricks than social engineering and LOIC up their sleeves; they're gonna need it.

Haven Donator

Array

Heard a bit about SOPA but didn't pay much attention. Interesting to see it blow up to this proporation, and in my opinion I think from how it imposes itself over American Civil rights it will have a hard time getting through for the time being.

Also isn't it getting close to elections over there? Last thing some politicians want is to lose a substantial amount of votes because of this
    Downloads : 8 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 5602 || Posts : 713 || Thanks : 107 || Thanked 79 Times in 53 Posts

JENGA MASTER SUPREME
    Emerald Lance

Array

I've been following it for as long as it's been up for debate. I've read the entire SOPA bill (it is extremely long) and some of the PIPA bill (pretty much says the same thing). The main purpose of SOPA and PIPA (Protect IP Act) is to allow the owner of an IP greater control over how their IP is used. That sounds absolutely great in theory, but how the bills enforce it goes against every copyright and free speech law the US has, especially the "free-use" clause in the copyright law.

Basically, if a company sees a website hosting content they don't like, they can email the domain host of the website and have the content deleted or the website shut down on the spot without any legal recourse; if the site happens to be based out of country (where the law wouldn't apply) then American access wold be cut from the site. If the host of the site refuses to comply with this demand (assuming the site is based in the US) it can be taken to court and the law will be on the company's side.

What does this mean for the haven? Well, obviously Microsoft (a company that distributes around the world but is based in the US) doesn't like 360 modding. They will send a message to Seph, who (I believe lives in the Netherlands) isn't bound by NL law to remove 360haven. Because Microsoft can't take Seph to court, they'll send an email to the proper authorities and US servers will not be able to access 360haven. In other words, every member of this site who is a US citizen will be blocked from accessing it!

I am hardcore against SOPA and PIPA. Any American here is, by principle, against it. Anti-piracy is good and all, but only if it doesn't intrude on the laws that are already in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
    Also isn't it getting close to elections over there? Last thing some politicians want is to lose a substantial amount of votes because of this
    Yeah, the presidential elections. Ironically, I don't think any of the candidates have a public view of the bills. Bills go through Congress first (which is who is debating it now). The president won't even have a say in the matter unless the bill passes Congress and gets to his desk (bill doesn't become law until president signs it). The scary thing is, there's two bills, so if even one of them is signed by the president, we're done.
    Downloads : 22 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 6841 || Posts : 1,834 || Thanks : 436 || Thanked 633 Times in 307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SaiyanPrince302, commenting on how to become a Super Saiyan,
    "I know where these guys are going, but in all seriousness, just trying to imagine loved ones being killed almost never works. Be a man and travel into space and shoot at asteroids until you get yourself in an actual life threatening situation."
    --Gamefaqs.com

Monkey573000

I'm one of those who agrees that something DOES need to be done about the rampant internet piracy, but the way SOPA and PIPA go about it is not the right way to do it. If anon can make the entire web go dark more power to them, but... escalating it to that far of a degree would only make things worse for the cause.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast