360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Save editing - encryped or doing something wrong?
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Array

Save editing - encryped or doing something wrong?

Ive successfully edited Ninja Blade and figured Id try a few other games. I attempted to edit Tony Hawk Project 8 to change the number of stokens. I am SURE I found the right value because I even tried a file compare and the value changed matched exactly, but when I modified it and reinjected/rehashed/resigned it will not load the save, says its corrupted. This game is OLD so I wouldn't think it would have encryption, but maybe. Same thing with Disney Universe, I found the value, changed it, reinjected/rehashed/resigned but will not load. Am I understanding correctly that encrypted saves cannot be modded? Or, are these not encrypted and require a different technique than Ninja Blade? I'm sorta leaning on them NOT being encrypted, because I wouldn't think I would be able to see the value...in other words, wouldn't the value for say stokens be represented by something other than the actual hex value? Any help would be much appreciated (ive read the tutorials here on hex editing). New to hexing xbox saves, but not new to hex editing in general. I'm using the latest version of horizon to work with the saves in case that matters.

Developer

Array

Re: Save editing - encryped or doing something wrong?

Doesn't really matter how old the game is. It's up to the developers to input any type of security. Tons of games don't have any type of encryption on campaign saves, they usually focus on multiplayer security. To figure out if you didn't just mess up when rehash and resigning, check the save by going to settings/storage on your xbox. Usually if you look in there before you loaded it up in the game it will show the status of the save. If the hashes are wrong it will show up as corrupted. Most of the time a game won't even display a save with bad hashes, so it most likely has security.

Array

Yea, it shows up and looks normal...although, the little icon (picture) that usually shows up next to the save title is blank in both cases...is that an indication of anything?

Array

So am I correct in thinking that encrypted saves cannot be modified?

EDIT: Read through some more forums and I've seen references to compression tools. Sounds like these are needed for encrypted games? Is that right? Also sounds like there are specific tool kits for different games? Looking to hex edit Tony Hawk Project 8 and Disney Universe. Both seem to be encrypted...?
    Last edited by Drivium; 01-03-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: New info...

Array

Found this: http://www.thetechgame.com/Downloads...decrypter.html

Is this a fake? Or will this work? I'm totally naive to save decrypting at the moment and could use some direction. Is there a way I can create a decrypter for the games I want to decrypt via some specific technique? thx

Developer
    Array

Tony Hawk Games use a checksum. null the first 4 bytes then calculate a Crc32jam over the entire file (extracted from the package). if you are using hexworkshop i think its called crc32 then check the box that says 1s compliment

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Buddah For This Useful Post:

Array

Using HxD. It has a checksum feature. I selected CRC-32... doesnt have the 1s thing you mentioned. Is there a tutorial on hex editing encrypted saves? Not sure what you mean by nulling 1st four bytes and don't know know how to calculate a crc jam....:( But, this does give me hope that it can be done...just need the knowledge now...

Developer

Array

Upload your save and I'll try to walk you though it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kill_seth For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast