360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Dark Souls tutorial on editing inventory items
Register
    hk11

Dark Souls tutorial on editing inventory items

Note: This method may lead to corrupted save games at some point according to sources here at 360 haven.

I posted this in another forum and thought I would add it here since so many are having trouble. I'm far from pro, but I have been able to use this method to edit my saves. All of the information here was gathered from other threads and I'm only arranging it and did not discover any of this information.

You will need Hex Workshop and the awesome bookmarks from the Dark Souls modding discussion thread created by Turk645 and Magnus Hydra.
    Bookmarks : http://www.360haven.com/forums/attac...9&d=1319013357

1. Getting the userdata file from your save.
    A. Using Horizon, drag a copy of your save to a folder. Immediatley make a copy of this save and rename it DRAK005 - prehex or something incase you jack it up.
    B. Drag the DRAK005 file back into Horizon and you should see the window that displays information about the save.
    C. Click the Contents tab and select the user_data file from the top of the list. Right click and select export. Export a copy of this to the folder where you extracted the save from your USB.

2. Loading the bookmarks
    A. Right click the user_data file and select open with hex workshop
    B. In HW, click Tools > Bookmarks > open bookmark collection. Select the bookmarks you have downloaded and extracted.
    C. You should now see the bookmarks loaded on your user_data file

3. Editing the stats
    You can edit your stats using the bookmarks and a hex calculator (google for one if you dont have a favorite). If I just want to add souls or humanity or change a stat, I generally use the mod tool from Jappi for simplicity.

4. Replacing items
    This is the part most people seem to be having trouble with.
    A. First you need a quantity of an item to replace. Shortswords or chain helms from the first vendor work well.
    B. You need the ID for the item you want to replace. This is available on the forum.

For this example I will use a shortsword (0000000000030D40) and replace it with titanite shards (40000000000003E8):

Search the user_data file for the item you want to replace (0000000000030D40). If you select "find all instances" when searching, it will highlight all of the data you need to replace. If the leading 0s are throwing you off, replace an item like a consumable that starts with 40000000 or armor that starts with 10000000.

Replace the data with the ID for the item you want to replace (40000000000003E8).

Next is the quantity. If you look to the right of the data you just replaced you will see 00000001. The last two digits is the quantity. Using the hex calculator enter the amount you want. For this example I will add 50 titanite shards in place of the shortsword. So I will change the quantity to 00000032.
    The entire changed code looks like this now : 40000000000003E800000032

5. Fixing the checksum
    After you have made your changes, you need to fix the checksum
    A. With the edited user_data file loaded and bookmarks open, scroll to the very bottom of the file and you should see a bookmark for the checksum.
    B. Click Edit > Select all (CTRL+A)
    C. While holding shift, de-select the data in the checksum bookmark.
    D. With all data highlighted EXCEPT the checksum click Tools > Generate Checksum. Select MD5(128bit), and make sure the radio button for selection is checked. Click generate.
    E. In the lower right side of hex workshop you should see the Checksum Results window. Right click the entry here and select copy.
    F. Highlight the data in the checksum bookmark and right-click paste.
    G. Save the file

6. Getting the data back into your save.
    A. In horizon, open the DRAK005 file from your hard drive (same as 1-b) and click the contents tab.
    B. Right-click the user_data file and select replace. Browse for the file you edited and replace the one in the save.
    C. Click the Save,Rehash, and sign button in Horizon.
    D. Transfer it back to your stick and hope for the best

If you encounter errors when replacing your userdata file, when transferring to USB, or when loading the game, try again.
    Last edited by hk11; 10-20-2011 at 04:48 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hk11 For This Useful Post:

Haven Donator
    modder

Array

Re: Dark Souls tutorial on editing inventory items

If you are going to manually edit your saves its best to edit the container file and not the extracted User_data file. Also use hash block calculator to resign/rehash so the file size is not changed. This was posted by Idlehands and I have been using this method for over 100 times now and no corruption. Replacing the User_data file or injecting it back into the container almost always changes the file size which in turn will lead to a corrupt save eventually. Also if using anything other than hash block calculator and you get a file size change you need to start over.

Otherwise great tutorial. Hope it helps clear up some confusion.

hk11

Quote Originally Posted by Skullkeeper View Post
    If you are going to manually edit your saves its best to edit the container file and not the extracted User_data file. Also use hash block calculator to resign/rehash so the file size is not changed. This was posted by Idlehands and I have been using this method for over 100 times now and no corruption. Replacing the User_data file or injecting it back into the container almost always changes the file size which in turn will lead to a corrupt save eventually. Also if using anything other than hash block calculator and you get a file size change you need to start over.

I am going to work on that. So far I have not been successful with editing the save itself, but I think I know why now and will test tonight. I have played past ornstein and smough with this method without any issues but I agree the filesize is worrysome.

Inactive Member
    Array

i really dont understand this at all could you possibly make a vid or add pictures its really confusing.
    Last edited by wainyboy; 10-20-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: ...

Gorgatron

Quote Originally Posted by Skullkeeper View Post

Where can I find this guide? I'm looking into doing that.

Haven Donator
    modder

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgatron View Post
    Where can I find this guide? I'm looking into doing that.
    You can find everything you need here.

http://www.360haven.com/forums/showt...ussion-Only%21