Wii U will have no DVD or Blu-Ray playback
Register
    News Reporter

Array

Wii U will have no DVD or Blu-Ray playback

Name:  hddvd_bluray_comparison.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  18.3 KB

We all knew it wouldn’t happen, and now Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has confirmed it; there will be no DVD or Blu-ray playback for Wii U. Iwata stated that there are a number of reasons why Nintendo hasn’t seen fit to include DVD or Blu-ray support with the system. Firstly, the majority of people already have DVD players, and secondly, adding DVD or Blu-ray support would mean that Nintendo would have to pay a licensing fee. Does anyone feel dissapointed by this news?

“The reason for that is that we feel that enough people already have devices that are capable of playing DVDs and Blu-ray, such that it didn’t warrant the cost involved to build that functionality into the Wii U console because of the patents related to those technologies.”

The Immortal God
    Rpg_Fan

Array
    Twitter: @

Re: Wii U will have no DVD or Blu-Ray playback

its probably a good thing so the cost of the system wont be so high
    Downloads : 157 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 24436 || Posts : 18,751 || Thanks : 4,451 || Thanked 3,096 Times in 2,607 Posts

News Reporter

Array

Quote Originally Posted by CloudStrife7x View Post
    its probably a good thing so the cost of the system wont be so high

Hopefully, although Nintendo have stated that it will be expensive. I dread to think how much the control tablets will cost.

JENGA MASTER SUPREME
    Emerald Lance

Array

As far as I know, the controllers won't be sold separately (bad move on Nintendo's part) so the only other controllers we can plan on seeing are going to be third party controllers. As far as DVD playback, good for them; we don't need yet another "does everything" multimedia system that also happens to play Zelda, so stupid stuff like that being cut is a-okay with me, especially if it will keep production costs down like Cloud mentioned.
    Downloads : 22 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 6813 || Posts : 1,834 || Thanks : 436 || Thanked 633 Times in 307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SaiyanPrince302, commenting on how to become a Super Saiyan,
    "I know where these guys are going, but in all seriousness, just trying to imagine loved ones being killed almost never works. Be a man and travel into space and shoot at asteroids until you get yourself in an actual life threatening situation."
    --Gamefaqs.com

News Reporter

Array

Probably safer that you cant buy the controllers seperate, the PS3 and 360 pads are around £30-£40 new so imagine how much the Wii U ones would cost. Sayng that though, what happens when a year down the line (and the warrenty has run out) the controller breaks? There must be somewhere that you can get a replacement from or your gonna be screwed.

It has been confirmed though that 2 tablets can be connected to the console so a friend can bring his round.

The Immortal God
    Rpg_Fan

Array
    Twitter: @

Quote Originally Posted by longy999 View Post
    Probably safer that you cant buy the controllers seperate, the PS3 and 360 pads are around £30-£40 new so imagine how much the Wii U ones would cost. Sayng that though, what happens when a year down the line (and the warrenty has run out) the controller breaks? There must be somewhere that you can get a replacement from or your gonna be screwed.

It has been confirmed though that 2 tablets can be connected to the console so a friend can bring his round.
    thats cool and i have agree with u on the warranty part they have to have something in mind hopefully
    Downloads : 157 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 24436 || Posts : 18,751 || Thanks : 4,451 || Thanked 3,096 Times in 2,607 Posts

JENGA MASTER SUPREME
    Emerald Lance

Array

Actually, that's exactly what I'm worried about. While I would like for the 360 and PS3 controllers to be less expensive, at least it beats not having a spare at all. I don't want to have to jump through hoops with Nintendo just to get another controller.
    Downloads : 22 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 6813 || Posts : 1,834 || Thanks : 436 || Thanked 633 Times in 307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SaiyanPrince302, commenting on how to become a Super Saiyan,
    "I know where these guys are going, but in all seriousness, just trying to imagine loved ones being killed almost never works. Be a man and travel into space and shoot at asteroids until you get yourself in an actual life threatening situation."
    --Gamefaqs.com

nnaatteedd

I think I missed something....from what I gather from these posts, the WiiU only comes with one giant screen controller??? and you won't be able to purchase more than 1??? and that 1 comes with the system???
    The not being able to purchase more sounds ridiculous.
    I was coming here to post that I agree with Nintendo about not including DVD or BluRay playback (although apparently they admitted they just don't want to pay a licensing fee, lol), because my friend ruined his $300 xbox playing mostly dvds on it; When he could have purchased a $20 DVD player to run into the ground.
    But now I'm baffled by this revelation about the giant screen controller (lol) and cannot understand why a move like this takes part from Nintendo.