Wii U console "not drastically different"
Register
    News Reporter

Array

Wii U console "not drastically different"

Name:  satoru_iwata1.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  106.6 KB

Nintendo has revealed that the Wii U console won't be "drastically different" - that's why the E3 announcement focused on the tablet controller.

But Nintendo top-dog Satoru Iwata admitted he "should have made more effort to explain how [Wii U] works".

"We haven't made any kind of blunder," Iwata told the Evening Standard, referencing a fallen Nintendo stock price and defending against allegations of a confusion-causing presentation.

"But I should have shown a single picture of the new console, then started talking about the controller."

"The console is not drastically different," he added, "and Wii U is about the controller. The console itself will be almost invisible."

Exactly what will be inside the console hasn't been specified. We know it's theoretically capable of matching PS3 and 360 output thanks to a show reel aired at the Nintendo E3 conference (albeit of actual PS3 and 360 code rather than Wii U). How far beyond the ageing PS3 and 360 tech Wii U can go, however, remains to be seen.

Iwata went on to echo what he said to Reuters, and told the Evening Standard that people can't properly appreciate Wii U until they play it.

"They cannot see how this can be a game changer," he said of people reading about but not experiencing Wii U.

"What Wii U will offer is very different," Iwata added. "But I believe we have the strong potential to change the entire format of video games and of entertainment."

Eurogamer has played Wii U, and we tallied with Iwata's argument by declaring that "as soon as you pick that controller up, you understand the genius of Nintendo's idea."

But how will Nintendo demo Wii U to every potential customer? That's what analysts are worried about. Wii, a runaway success, had one universally clear message: motion sensing.

The Immortal God
    Rpg_Fan

Array
    Twitter: @

Re: Wii U console "not drastically different"

they still should have presented it, at first i thought the controller was the new console, lol, u know they should just make an invisible console, literally, lol
    Downloads : 157 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 24436 || Posts : 18,751 || Thanks : 4,451 || Thanked 3,096 Times in 2,607 Posts

News Reporter

Array

I know what you mean. I sat for about 15 minutes into the presentation wondering if it was just a handheld or not lol

stanlec

I was not totally impressed with the WiiU. Sure the tablet controller is a neat idea but I was hoping for something meant for the serious gamer. They did make an attempt for serious gaming but fell off the mark in my opinion.

JENGA MASTER SUPREME
    Emerald Lance

Array

I think it's going to be absolutely great. Everything Nintendo has done for the past 16 years has been considered a bad idea before launch, but after launch it was always the most successful console (except the Gamecube, but nobody argues that it wasn't fun anyways). I have complete and total confidence in Nintendo, if not at least for their stellar track record in shattering doubts surrounding their creations. The only thing I'm worried about is how they've spoiled themselves with the Wii's "we can do anything and people will buy it" philosophy, but they seem to have shed that for the Wii U.

Besides, Smash Bros 4 is coming out for it, so you know it's gonna be great; imagine Smash Bros with 360-esque online! My greatest dream...
    Downloads : 22 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 6813 || Posts : 1,834 || Thanks : 436 || Thanked 633 Times in 307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SaiyanPrince302, commenting on how to become a Super Saiyan,
    "I know where these guys are going, but in all seriousness, just trying to imagine loved ones being killed almost never works. Be a man and travel into space and shoot at asteroids until you get yourself in an actual life threatening situation."
    --Gamefaqs.com

The Immortal God
    Rpg_Fan

Array
    Twitter: @

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Lance View Post
    I think it's going to be absolutely great. Everything Nintendo has done for the past 16 years has been considered a bad idea before launch, but after launch it was always the most successful console (except the Gamecube, but nobody argues that it wasn't fun anyways). I have complete and total confidence in Nintendo, if not at least for their stellar track record in shattering doubts surrounding their creations. The only thing I'm worried about is how they've spoiled themselves with the Wii's "we can do anything and people will buy it" philosophy, but they seem to have shed that for the Wii U.

Besides, Smash Bros 4 is coming out for it, so you know it's gonna be great; imagine Smash Bros with 360-esque online! My greatest dream...
    cant agree with u more on Smash Bros 4 i love those games but i am just not so crazy about the controller, but nintendo so far has not let done either so like u i will trust in them for now
    Downloads : 157 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 24436 || Posts : 18,751 || Thanks : 4,451 || Thanked 3,096 Times in 2,607 Posts

nnaatteedd

Before you splooge your pants with 360esque SSB, remember that Nintendo is notorious for making online play (even with friends )as hassle some as possible in the past with the friend codes. I think that is the first thing they should change. I didn't see the E3 presentation, I saw Nintendo's E3 website and It looks like the took a 360 controller, spread it out in the middle with a touch screen and flipped where the right stick and buttons are. So with that look, it should feel good in the hands if the weight doesn't tire them out first. I definitely want to try it. I must say that I did enjoy the Gamecube, I've always been somewhat of a diehard nintendo fan at heart, the problem with it was the lack of lucious graphics ridden 3rd party content. The zelda for the system was completely lacking and utterly dissapointing, however the gamecube truly shines the most, more than anything, when you play the Resident Evil remake and Resident Evil 0. Truely magnificent graphically!!!